PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
According to Jeremy the CPCC tinned blend was indeed Oriental Silk.
He could be lying.

Then that is pretty crappy operating by C&D to take a standard blend, repackage and rename it and sell it for a premium at a show as something special. Down right deceptive. I still trust my own taste buds and say it isn't the same.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I always assumed the show tins were just bulks that are tinned up.
I think tinning bulks up and labeling them for commemoration is cool.
People sure jumped at the tinned 5100 in Richmond. I think it helps turn people on to cellaring.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I always assumed the show tins were just bulks that are tinned up.
I think tinning bulks up and labeling them for commemoration is cool.
People sure jumped at the tinned 5100 in Richmond. I think it helps turn people on to cellaring.

did they rename the 5100 and say it was a special edition or say it was tinned 5100? My definition of cool has never included being purposefully misled.

Reactions: ram74

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Like I said, I always assumed they werent specially blended concoctions so I dont feel misled.

I can see how you would feel misled and perhaps even cheated.

Reactions: ram74

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Va/Or is never going to catch on like VaPer. Too odd to pronounce. Is there a better abbreviation?

Virginia and Mediterranean. VaMed? Sounds like an east coast health insurer.

I’ve got nothing.

Jun 23, 2019
Va/Or is never going to catch on like VaPer. Too odd to pronounce. Is there a better abbreviation?

Virginia and Mediterranean. VaMed? Sounds like an east coast health insurer.

I’ve got nothing.

I just call them Va(y)Or; this way it rolls off the tongue a little easier without having to just from an "a" sound to a "o".

Reactions: Casual
Jun 23, 2019
It's just called "Oriental," not VaOr or any of that other stuff. IT is simply an Oriental. All of them have something else in them, but ALL are called Oriental. Virginias and an Oriental, are Oriental.

I'm not sure if OP was trying to make this distinction but I find the label "Orientals" often can include blends with latakia or even more often are muddled with the "Englishes" and the balkan blends. I think the distinction here is "pure virginia/oriental" blends. But I could just be being pedantic.

Jun 23, 2019
Yes, sometimes... what... you guys trying to exclude latakia, which is an Oriental? So, if it is a latakia and Virginia, is it also going to be a VaOr?... or, are you guys going to just hate on latakia all together? puffy

I think it was just how the conversation evolved. OP was asking for recommendations of specifically Virginia and Oriental blends that did not contain Latakia.

Plus, Va/Lat is reserved for those. Or "Scottish" was it? Admittedly the nomenclatures start to get annoyingly confusing quick but it's all part of the hobby I guess..

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
you guys trying to exclude latakia, which is an Oriental?
The flavoring added overpowers the natural leaf flavor rendering it an Oriental aromatic.

So, if it is a latakia and Virginia, is it also going to be a VaOr?

Nope, that would make it an English.

or, are you guys going to just hate on latakia all together?

Maybe to some extent, but when I want a Virginia/Oriental, I don't want Latakia to interfere with that.

I can’t wait until all the latakia is gone.

I wouldn't go that extreme, but if it happens I won't be shedding any tears.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
It's just called "Oriental," not VaOr or any of that other stuff. IT is simply an Oriental. All of them have something else in them, but ALL are called Oriental. Virginias and an Oriental, are Oriental.
I’m not sure I can comply with your rule.
For me, a VaOri blend does not include Latakia.
They can, and often do, contain condimental portions of burley, perique, or light cavendish.
Start dropping in Latakia and I consider it a Scottish, English, or Balkan blend.
Latakia absolutely makes a difference to some of us, and some others can get downright offended.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Never heard that before, usually listed as a Virginia blend unless the Oriental proportion is higher than the Virginia which wouldn't happen as the Oriental would overpower most of the lighter Virginias.

Reactions: rmpeeps
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When I see VaOr, right or wrong, I think of a blend that is very dominant in those two leafs or even solely Virginia and Oriental. If it has perique or Latakia, they're perky condiments. Just my cut at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.