PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Are D&R’s really fancy cigarette tobaccos? I’ve always had that suspicion as I never see a GLP ryo suggestions.

Or am I way off the mark
I tried Picayune, Ramback, and Ramback Balkan. They all definitely seemed more like cig tobacco. Better than otc ryo, but still. Dry, minimal casing, no topping. We all think we'd like this, but I think most of us want some of the processing that makes pipe tobacco taste like pipe tobacco. Ramback Balkan was interesting though. It tasted like good quality tobacco and made my Presbyterian match taste more like Presbyterian. Still, unmixed it tasted better as a ryo than straight in the pipe. If you're like me, switching from cigs, it's nice to have around. I had to mix regular Ramback with some Bugler just to even finish it as ryo.

Reactions: lightmybriar
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I developed a strong lIking to VaOr earlier this year. Some of my favorites following. Some of these may have a sprinkling of Perique and/or Latakia but to my taste, condimental.

Ascanian No. 1
HU Joschi's Oriental Sunrise, Soraya, Flanagan
C&D Sunbear, Bijou, Oriental Silk, Orion's Arrow, Dreams of Kadath
Watch City Off The Rails, Persian Slipper
Peretti Cambridge Flake, Royal
Davidoff Royalty
Daughters & Ryan Ramback Gold
GLP Cairo, Meridian, Quiet Nights, Temple Bar
Robert Lewis Orcilla Mixture

Reactions: seanv and rmpeeps

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
Dan Ascanian No. 2
HU Flanagan
McClelland Tudor Castle
Butera Royal Vintage Blended Flake

Reactions: seanv

select565

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
About to try some HU Flanagan. Is this a tobacco that wouldn't be offensive to smoke in primarily VA Va/Per dedicated pipe?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
About to try some HU Flanagan. Is this a tobacco that wouldn't be offensive to smoke in primarily VA Va/Per dedicated pipe?

I wouldn't think so. It is a fairly stout, strong flavored blend so it shouldn't be hindered by any ghosting that exists from the Perique and I doubt that it would leave much, if any of a ghost. It is a superb blend though and may deserve it's own dedicated pipe.

select565

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
I wouldn't think so. It is a fairly stout, strong flavored blend so it shouldn't be hindered by any ghosting that exists from the Perique and I doubt that it would leave much, if any of a ghost. It is a superb blend though and may deserve it's own dedicated pipe.

Thanks for the reply. Definitely smoked well in my Va/per pipe. The problem with dedicating Pipes to specific blends at the moment is that I’m in that early discovery stage. I probably have 50 various tins and samples open that I’m trying to familiarize myself with.

I figure I’ll start dedicating pipes to individual tobaccos later on as I hone in on my favorites

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I'm late to this topic, but I find Seattle pipe club's Deception pass to be more oriental forward than I find it to be a Va/Per, and its tangy, bright and quite good!

Reactions: twoonefive
Status
Not open for further replies.