PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 2, 2013
Unfortunately, I never got to try McClelland’s grand oriental blends. I am looking for virginias tweaked with orientals, or orientals tweaked with virginias. NO LATAKIA PLEASE, honestly given up on the idea of latakia tweaking a virginia. As I write this I am smoking some Laurel Heights, supposedly the most delicate kiss of latakia in it... not to me, it seems to obfuscate most of what I enjoy about virginia. I have had stokkebye “turkish”, and i loved that one. I tend to favour the brights over the darks... my favourite VA of all time was Klondike Gold, never had something so bright and bite free as that one. Anyhow, anyone got suggestions for a Va-Or?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Have you tried Cairo? It has some perique but the Izmir is the leading flavor.

Sutliff sells a bulk called Blended Turkish Ribbon that consists of Yenidje, Samsun, and Basma. Makes for a nice addition to your favorite Virginias.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
+ for Cairo.

From GLP I’d add Regent’s Flake and Temple Bar.

C&D Bijou is also very good. If you don’t mind some perique, Low Country Waccamaw is great. Another PS bulk to try is Norwegian.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Waccamaw is supposed to be a criminally underrated one. Also C&D Oriental Silk is supposed to be a fine Va/Or, if memory serves. Can’t remember if there’s any Latakia but I don’t think so.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Some other oriental blends you might like:
Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish
GLP Embarcadero
Sam's Flake
Captain Earle's Honor Blend
C&D Shandygaff
D&R Ramback Regular

Also, Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian is worth tracking down. It's no longer in production but can still be had for reasonable prices.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What about Presbyterian? There’s so little Latakia in it that many reviewers don’t believe it’s in there.

As the brand was just bought out, it’s possible that future incarnations will be different.

• Wow
Reactions: litup and Elric

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Oriental Silk is cheap and awesome once it's had a few months in the jar.
Brunello Flake is on sale at SPC right now.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

tg51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2017
Fort Polk, LA
Oriental Silk is cheap and awesome once it's had a few months in the jar.
Brunello Flake is on sale at SPC right now.
How are the Savinelli blends? I haven't heard much about them or even knew they existed until SP threw them up on sale

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Brunello has a strong citrus flavor, so be prepared. It's good, but not what I expected.

But I'll second Embarcadero over Cairo. That tin vanished quick...Cairo I'm still working through.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
How are the Savinelli blends? I haven't heard much about them or even knew they existed until SP threw them up on sale
Doblone d'Oro is very, very good and an extremely good bargain at 16 bones. Check out the reviews on TRC.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Waccamaw is supposed to be a criminally underrated one. Also C&D Oriental Silk is supposed to be a fine Va/Or, if memory serves. Can’t remember if there’s any Latakia but I don’t think so.

Waccamaw IS good but it’s heavier in on the perique for sure.

Oriental silk is decent. It’s what’s in the tins from C&D from Chicago this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.