PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Gentlemen,
I've been looking into using matches instead of my Zippo w/insert, Clipper, or Bic lighter. I've tried several kinds of matches that we've had stored in our junk drawer for who knows how long with interesting results. I've found that with Diamond brand matches the older ones were far, far superior to the new green tipped ones. I don't like the new green ones at all. I've had pretty good luck with a single generic book of cardboard matches but I have no idea where they came from.
What brand are you using? Anyone find any TRUE strike-anywhere matches? Any tips for using a match?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I get the 32count diamond at the dollar store 10x for a buck. They're about 1/8" thick and 1 9/16 long with red sulfur tips. I also have some green tipped Diamonds in the large size. The large sized greens work fine.

The small greens suque.

I can remember when Diamond matches were made in Jaffery NH.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I'm another Diamond Greenlight user. Have not really experimented. There is one brand of match I'd really love to try. Another user mentioned them and they are made from cactus.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I have used Ohio Blue Tip, Diamond (blue and red box), and Swan Vestas. I find the Vestas to be preferable, as they are slightly longer than the other two. Unfortunately, they difficult to find in my part of the country, and rather expensive by comparison.
The Diamond Greenlight brand is one with which I am not familiar.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@rayje: I'm the guy that found the cactus matches, though lonestar Ryan Alden is the one that figured out they're made of cactus spines - he says he's been stuck so many times, he likes to light them just to watch them burn!
They are totally the best matches, beating even the venerable Swan Vestas and I'll tell you why. They're Maya matches from Mexico. Being cactus spines, they're bendy and don't break like wooden matches. Also, each box of fifty has a print of a painting on the back, which is cool. The box has a striker on both sides, not just one. The box only opens on one end, so your matches don't fall out. Also, there's a flap over half the tray, so they don't fall out. And, they're really cheap. Best pipe matches ever.
The only rub on them is you can only get them at HEB grocery stores, which are only in Texas and Mexico. They are on the picnic isle, next to the charcoal briquets. Sending you a PM now :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm a match guy. Usually have Diamond,since that's what the grocery store sells,although have used Ohio and Swan. Always get the big boxes of 300 - the matches are longer. Haven't noticed any difference between Greenlight and the older Diamond matches.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Diamond Greenlights are the only ones available here. A good tip to let it burn for a few seconds before lighting your bowl. They work fine for me, but I have a limited point of reference. I did use some longer Vesta's at a Pipe Club meeting. They worked fine, but were unnecessarily large for lighting a pipe. It would not be worth the effort to obtain them, by my experience.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I keep either Diamond Greenlight or Ohio Blue Tip in my truck and a few on my person for the times I am out in the wind. They are both sold locally so sourcing is not a problem.
Unless I'm in a big hurry I like to use a match for my charlight and then my first light, and use my lighter for relights.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
huntertrw and johhnyreb, are Ohio Blue Tips still available in your area or do you just have a hoard of them? If they are available in your area, would either of you be interested in doing some proxy buying for me?

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
dermotfahy:
I believe that Ohio Blue Tip kitchen matches are still sold here, but will have to check to make certain. If memory serves they come three boxes (250 per box) to a package, and I always purchase multiples. Please note that these are the "strike on box" version.
Diamond still makes the "strike anywhere" version, also packaged 250 per box.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm another Dollar Store bought Diamonds, 32 count boxes, ten for a dollar. They are quicker to light

than the larger kitchen matches, and don't leave as much waste. Life is so techy, I really prefer the soft

flame of a match, that is more easily directed and controlled than yet another gizmo, charming and

ferociously efficient as it may be...lighters. Don't like the smell of lighter fluid with my tobacco scent.

But everyone has their own thing. I like lighters as gizmos, for sure; nothing prettier than a fine polished

chrome Zippo -- just not with a pipe, thank you.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've got a big box of green light kitchen size diamonds in the garage for when I forget to fill my zippo. They work well and I like the extra length on them as I never worry about burning my fingers with a picky light that is taking too long.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Up here I come across Red Bird Wooden matches most often but my local B+M has started throwing a few boxes of Sea-Dog matches, made in Sweden, in the bag when I buy my weekly tin of Capstan. I tend to use matches only for the charring light and a bic or zippo for the lights after that.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I've a buddy who uses the Ohio blue tips and the Diamond matches.
I just use the matches that the b&m's throw into my bags when I buy from them. I'd like to be a match guy, there's just something more natural with lighting a pipe with a match, but since my smoking environment is primarily outdoors, I'm more forced to use my zippos and bics.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Dermotfahy,
The new Ohio Blue Tip matches with the new bulldog box art are not available in grocery stores around here. But Walmart, hardware stores, fireplace stores and at least one cigar store that I know of carries them. As Hunter pointed out, they are strike on box. The box is no longer two-tone blue & white but has an American flag background with a fighting bulldog over it. Have you tried sources other than grocery in your area?
I'm not sure what the legality is on shipping matches to you is.

Status
Not open for further replies.