PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's all about distance of the tip of the flame to the tobacco; there should be some space. Hotter the flame, further from the pipe. Applies from matches to lighter fuel to soft butane to torch butane.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
pulling the wick just above the rim of the windproof chimney for pipe use
Really? Please show me what you mean.You mean all the way up?? (Forgive me if I'm bein dumb!)...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I understand the appeal of Zippos. I have a bunch of them collected from all the decades of my life, and before. I used one all the time when I smoked cigs for 40 plus years, but the performance and odor of a Zippo for a pipe, made me go with butane, and I'll never go back. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Really? Please show me what you mean.You mean all the way up?? (Forgive me if I'm bein dumb!)...
Not dumb at all. Zippo's instructions illustrated it years ago for pipe use. Pull the wick up until it is just above the chimney.
20180324_010201.jpg

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
I bought a brass Dr. Brog pipe lighter that I thought was just a rebranded zippo but its made in China crap, and clearly not of the same build quality to the point that I'm not even going to try it out. Seems the brass pipe lighters are tough to find, but my local drug store has the regular brass models (including the slimmer model) so now that I know I can just push the wick out further, I'll probably go that route.

Thanks Embers!

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I bought a brass Dr. Brog pipe lighter that I thought was just a rebranded zippo but its made in China crap, and clearly not of the same build quality to the point that I'm not even going to try it out. Seems the brass pipe lighters are tough to find, but my local drug store has the regular brass models (including the slimmer model) so now that I know I can just push the wick out further, I'll probably go that route.

Thanks Embers!
If you send it to Zippo, and ask them to exchange it for the pipe insert, they will for free. Also, ask them to give you back your regular insert, and they will. Got to their website and print out the service request form, stick it in a padded envelope, and mail it to them. They will swap out the insert for the pipe insert, give you your regular insert (if you request it), and mail it back to you for free. Postage to them will cost about $2.50. I've sent 4 lighters to them, they always mail them back with a new insert and 2 spare flints.
Zippo is an awesome company.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
[/quote]What I have noticed is the fit on mine is not as good as the original insert so the fuel evaporates more quickly. I can't be bothered with petroleum jelly or similar fixes. Just too messy.
Try cutting a thick rubberband out of a bicycle inner tube and snap that over the seam on your zippo when it is idle for long periods, or just overnight. Your fluid won't evaporate as quickly.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
The hole on a standard Zippo pipe insert is only 7/16". Typical pipe chamber is 3/4". I've never had an issue with charring the rim holding the Zippo right above chamber and rim and sucking the flame down.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks Embers! Never heard of pulling the wick up that far. Do you do that with the pipe insert to???

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Shouldn't need to. You just do that with the regular insert to keep the flame from going out when turned sideways.

Status
Not open for further replies.