US Bakery Wins World Cornish Pasty Championship Award.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though of course it wasn't a 'proper' Cornish pasty due to the ingredients...we are quite picky about our pasties here in Cornwall :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-43278376
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My preferred pasty maker is the unfortunately named Choak's of Falmouth (Cornwall).
They do a 'party pasty' which is about two feet long!
http://www.choakspasties.co.uk/about-us/
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting! At least the Yankee winner is wearing a Barbour jacket and head gear appropriate for stalking. (Brit for hunting- animals, not people)
Do you know if they baked on site, or could bring their pasties from wherever?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Do you know if they baked on site, or could bring their pasties from wherever?"
I don't know for sure John but I would wager all pasties were made on the day at the venue.
The Eden Project is well worth visiting in itself.
Regards,
Jay.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
My great grandparents came from near Jay in Redruth and relocated to the UP of Michigan. My mom carried on the tradition and made pastys while I was growing up. I miss them...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Do you know if they baked on site, or could bring their pasties from wherever?"
I don't know for sure John but I would wager all pasties were made on the day at the venue.
The Eden Project is well worth visiting in itself.
What I guessed, but you never know.
And The Eden Project is indeed worth a detour. My son and I were there five years ago.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Lasttango, Redruth still has a couple of pasty shops, Rowes being my preferred whenever I visited the town.
"I have never had a pasty but they sure look good"
You owe it to yourself to try one. A single meal perfectly packaged in a pastry case.
Regards,
Jay.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Never had the real thing Jay and wouldn't like the ingredients in the winner's version. There are actually essentially large-scale commercial versions of the concept on store shelves throughout the US, Jay, "Hot Pockets" and "Lean Pockets" they're called. Favor the latter myself since it's "leaner." No doubt, as almost always is the case, home-made or bakery-made would be a heck of a lot better.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lasttango, my late wife and I enjoyed pasties in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, if I remember correctly at the monument at White Fish Point to those lost in the sinking of Edmund Fitzgerald. They are excellent picnic food, hearty, and will stay warm for quite a while to get to the picnic destination. In one way, I wish they were more widely available, but maybe when regional foods stay regional, they maintain their character better. Boy, they were good. Wish I had one now.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
I love a cornish pasty. One of my favorite foods. Maybe my favorite non-stew. Maybe my favorite pie. Up there with chicken pot pie . . . despite my screen name I wasn't born a yankee

Status
Not open for further replies.