PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
A number of years ago, I bought this Don Carlos pipe from my local B&M. At the time I was told it was an upside down pipe, meant to be smoked upside down if the weather was bad.

I thought that sounded cool, and since Don Carlos pipes always smoked great for me, I bought it. I have always wondered since that time if the salesman was right, or was I just sold a line, so to speak.
The pipe's stem curves up at the end if it is inserted into the shank properly, and is comfortable, if the bowl is turned upside down, but isn't the most comfortable pipe to smoke, if the pipe bowl is turned up. I usually just turn the stem upside down and smoke it that way.
DonCarlospipe002.jpg

DonCarlospipe006.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone else on this forum has ever heard of such a pipe?
Here is the pipe with the stem turned upside down.
DonCarlospipe007.jpg

Anyone care to venture a guess?

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
I've heard of an upside down pipe before, but I think it had a screen at the bottom or something similar.
Now that you've mentioned that about the Don Carlos, I wonder if this one is meant to be an upside down...
pipes-cigars-tobacco_2092_167138711

This same shape was being sold a Knox Cigar once upon a time when their website was still up, I think it made mention of it being carved to resemble a woman's leg.
I used to have a Don Carlos. I needed the money and wound up selling it to a brick and mortar in my area. Best smoker I've had and set the bar for what I'll compare all other pipes to.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
That's a pretty intersting pipe dudley. About as strange as mine.

You're right about Don Carlos too. They are some of the lightest, nicest smoking pipes I own.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
The pipe I'd mentioned with the screen is from the Bartlett Pipe Company.
bianchinopipes3.jpg

Interesting, but I'm not so sure it's something I could go for.
Here's a link to the site:
http://www.mountwashingtonvalley.com/pipe/
Also, a strange tale from the inventor about the pipe's history:
http://www.thefourthpath.com/pipes.shtml

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The smoking of upside-down pipes is nothing new. Sailors used to smoke inverted pipes out of necessity. Like the sailors of old, I think the screens in those above is for use in windy situations like riding in rag top cars or on motorcycles or the deck of an old sailing vessel with a constant stiff breeze. It's actually rather easy to light an upside-down pipe, it requires less of a pull on the pipe to engage the flame. Possibly facilitating a faster light. As we all know it is easier to keep a pipe lit in a light breeze.
But some do it simply because that is the way its always been done.

Here is a pipe babe that demonstrates just that point.
Girlsmokingpipe.jpg

I like this pipe.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have heard of people smoking their pipes upside down in the rain, but I have never heard of an actual upside down pipe that was created specially for that very thing.

phage74

Lurker
Jun 27, 2009
Not sure if it has to be rubbed out, but i rubbed one out to that picture. Inappropriate?

Status
Not open for further replies.