PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
So now I guess we wait until a new FDA chief is appointed . . .
The old phrase, "better the devil you know than the devil you don't" comes to mind.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Actually there is a web site that specializes in sending this stuff out as an anonymous gift.
What makes it even funnier is the note you can send with it. A dozen or so people have received these from me. :mrgreen:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If only the FDA were the only enemy to tobacco. There seems to be a new story pop up each week (or multiple new stories) of wins by the anti smoking Nazis. For most people and vendors, prices have increased by the % of your State Sales Tax in the past year if you purchase through online retailers. I can't remember the last positive story for the future of tobacco use.
I hate being a Negative Nellie but I also refuse to bury my head in the sand and simply hope for a positive outcome when I don't see much potential for that. Like any other important thing I consider, I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I probably own more tobacco now than I'll ever be able to smoke. Unless some miraculous Fountain of Youth potion that is invented in the next 40 years, by the end of this year, I plan to have enough tobacco to last me to 90 years of age. After that, I plan to purchase small amounts monthly to replace what I smoke as long as tobacco remains readily available at a reasonable price. I'm even giving thought to renting a small, secure, climate controlled area to store part of my cellar to offset the risk of theft, fire or some other catastrophe.
No, I am not paranoid, I simply enjoy smoking a pipe a lot and don't wish to allow some busy body do gooding Aholes to dictate what is best for me.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I plan to have enough tobacco to last me to 90 years of age. After that, I plan to purchase small amounts monthly to replace what I smoke as long as tobacco remains readily available at a reasonable price
That's my plan as well. I'm halfway there. Only cellaring my favorite blends now. My only fear is my taste in tobacco might change. I may start to like a VA/Per which right now I'm not a fan. My thought was to cellar a good amount of it anyway and if I still don't like it in 20 years I'll sell it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My only fear is my taste in tobacco might change.

If God forbid, tobacco ever becomes unobtainable, you'll enjoy every single smoke even if your tastes have changed. You'll be even grateful for a jar of aromatics.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
It is true though.
We may mourn the loss of McClellands and Dunhill, but there will come a time in the not-too-distant future where the choice of tobacco available today will be envied. In time, people will be happy to get their hands on any halfway decent blend.
It won't take too much either. One day internet tobacco sales will be banned globally, then you're reliant on B&Ms. Then the B&Ms get taxed out of business and farming tobacco becomes unprofitable at all but the largest of scales. Then you are reliant on personal sales/the black market, where prices will increase as stocks dwindle, providing you even have the right contacts.
I'm on a diet right now though and in a foul mood. Things may not be that bad :)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It won't take too much either. One day internet tobacco sales will be banned globally, then you're reliant on B&Ms. Then the B&Ms get taxed out of business and farming tobacco becomes unprofitable at all but the largest of scales. Then you are reliant on personal sales/the black market, where prices will increase as stocks dwindle, providing you even have the right contacts.
Yeah, that seems accurate.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It is true though.
It's definitely true...which is why I applauded it.
As the ancient Chinese saying goes, unless we change course, we're likely to end up where we're headed (or something like that).

Status
Not open for further replies.