PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Personally, I don't think you can rely on the Compliance date as any sort of protection. There are other forces at work, and as that date draws nearer, expect to see blends disappearing early because they're not selling well enough or because some essential component has run out and no more is being made. Even without the FDA Deeming Rule, the cessation of Federal subsidies results in more growers turning to other crops or cheaper methods. So in addition to the mantra: buy now because tobacco ain't getting any cheaper

I'd be inclined to add: and the quality ain't getting any better.
I was thinking of posting again but I can't find anything to add to this by Jesse.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I think I've noticed a change in Rattray's Hal O The Wynd virginias. I had two 8oz bags come that look much lighter in colour than the rest of my stash. The cut also looks very slightly different as well. Perhaps it was put together from the bottom of a larger bulk bag, but I have other older 8oz bags that look "normal" to me. I haven't tasted it yet though, as it is destined for long term storage.
Not sure where Rattray's gets their virginia stock from. Maybe this is from shifting choices of virginia?
Some places, like Germany (where I also spend a lot of time) seem to be immune from smoking legislation. Tobacco is so freely used there, it's like a throwback to the 70's or something. There are some new restrictions, especially in Bavaria, but I would say it's generally a couple decades behind in smoking legislation. And with the German or EU based blends, I suspect there will be a lot on hand even if the blends in the U.S. get stomped out of existence.

Other countries (like Brazil, some African countries) still grow a fair amount of tobacco. And maybe there will be incentive for them to grow more. It's really hard to know how markets will react.
But, if you smoke a lot of U.S. blends, then yes, you might be even worse off sooner. Right now, the only thing I smoke from the U.S. is GL Pease blends. They're great, but I also have a lot of others that suit me fine and I don't think I'd lose my mind over them being gone, sad is it may be.
Without a crystal ball, nobody will be able to say for sure. But, I would keep in mind that tobacco is bigger than the U.S.A. Shocking... yes, but true. So you will probably still have options. Lots of them. You will just have to get accustomed to what the rest of us who live in countries with strict import regulation already are.
I had a package of 32oz show up with a tax bill of over $500. That's after spending a couple hundred on the actual tobacco, after exchange. This is normal. People in the U.S. know nothing about this... I'm sure many are slightly aware, but you don't feel it like we do. You never get over the feeling of a 500 foot wide sausage in your ass for a few ounces of tobacco.
I think you will probably be able to smoke for the rest of your shortened life. How much you pay for it, well, that's another thing.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
People in the U.S. know nothing about this
I think our Founders knew something about that sort of thing. I don't believe they ever intended for us to have to deal with it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
People in the U.S. know nothing about this.... You never get over the feeling of a 500 foot wide sausage in your ass...
During my 7 years in the Army, we had a special acronym for a regular occurrence.
BOHICA, or, "Bend over. Here it comes again."
jay-roger.jpg

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Concerning Big Tobacco. As we recently witnessed, Altria parent company of Phillip Morris purchase 33% of JUUL we have to see the writing on the wall when it comes to cigarettes. Like anything else you just have to follow the money. My prediction is that we will see the demise of the cancer sticks probably within the decade with the rise of tobacco free nicotine loaded products such as Zyn, Dryft and Vape products. Once cannabis becomes legal federally the final assault on tobacco will begin because it will replace the taxes that the feds currently get from tobacco. When and if JUUL goes public you might want to jump on the bandwagon. They are planning to use their devices as inhalers for medical products and cannabis products.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Then MJ use will be cause to strip you of your 2nd Amendment rights...
Laugh if you will, but watch and see.
(Hope this lives long enough for some to see. It’ll likely earn me a ban, but oh well.)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Then MJ use will be cause to strip you of your 2nd Amendment rights...
Laugh if you will, but watch and see.
No need to watch and see...that is already the case.
Medical marijuana or your gun? In Missouri, you’ll have to make a choice
Federal law prohibits medical marijuana users from possessing or buying firearms and ammunition — even if state law allows the drug’s use.
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article221737235.html

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
You can not fill out a 4473, be truthful, and be approved, if you are a regular pot smoker.
True that!
I was thinking along the lines of “legal for recreational use” and then confiscation of previously purchased firearms. I’m not a MJ user, but they’ll do anything possible to...
Hold up, I’m hijacking the thread.
Sorry!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I agree that a discussion about the policies affecting pipe smokers is by necessity political. I also think that ranting and raving about the gubbermint and the NRA is pretty well off topic and does nothing to help our community.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Politics on forums is a bad idea unless it was on the old MPC forum where 'flaming' your opponent became a spectator sport. I was a 'Mod' on that forum and it was a no holds barred WWF type of place with people cr*pping all over the place. You never wanted to do a tobacco trade in that place as you just didn't know what would show up in the mail. One very vocal member received a gallon container of giraffe sh*t as opposed to tobacco! I can assure you Pipes Magazine has outlasted everyone else because of Kevins very sensible rules and guidelines.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
One very vocal member received a gallon container of giraffe sh*t as opposed to tobacco!
But I bet that's something you could sell for a profit on ebay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Actually there is a web site that specializes in sending this stuff out as an anonymous gift. They do giraffe, gorilla and elephant sh*t in one gallon plastic containers! :rofl:

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Actually there is a web site that specializes in sending this stuff out as an anonymous gift. They do giraffe, gorilla and elephant sh*t in one gallon plastic containers!
*sigh*
I’m always a day late and a dollar short. :)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The plot thickens...or thins?
Biotech Shares Tumble As FDA Commissioner Abruptly Resigns
FDA Commission and anti-vaping crusader Scott Gottlieb has resigned from the government agency as his ties to the pharmaceutical industry have faced intensifying scrutiny, the Washington Post reported.
And tobacco stocks spiked, as the resignation threatened some of Gottlieb's plans for cracking down on the industry, as WaPo explained.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-05/biotech-shares-tumble-fda-commissioner-abruptly-resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.