Unusual Dunhill I.D. Help Request (Related To A Repair Job)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I recently received the following letter:
UYZ7Dao.jpg

Not unusual in tone---repairing pipes is what I do, after all---but some of the particulars seemed a bit off. So, I thought I would enlist the PM.com forum HiveMind to help me out.
Here is a closer shot of the photo that accompanied the letter. Nice pipe, right?
Hoxwj79.jpg

But this is what was actually in the box:
sZDRmQr.jpg

ljAJPL4.jpg

It looks OK at first glance, right? The nomenclature is spot on, too:
Hvubfg7.jpg

But check the other details a bit more closely. The dot, for example, doesn't feel quite right. Too large, maybe? I've never seen a sterling silver band that was quite that color or design, either:
E14KjyD.jpg

And the bowl has some sort of side-draw (flavor-enhancing?) ventilation system I've never seen before.
FZogf7G.jpg

The button and slot work also seems faintly un-Dunhill-like:
uUGvjq7.jpg

And finally, there's some type of insect larva tobacco chamber floor-elevation-device that I also assume is for flavor enhancement, but I've never seen used by Dunhill.
mm0nOTh.jpg

I looked for quite a while trying to grasp what it was that made me feel uneasy about this job, and then suddenly noticed that the pipe in the letter's accompanying photo didn't have a white dot. Which is when I decided to post all this and ask for your help.
Do you think it is possible that someone is trying to take advantage of me, here? Hoping that I will try to make the pipe that was sent look like the one in the photo, maybe, and if I can't will sue me or something? (I do have a new Chris Asteriou billiard that's almost exactly the same size I could just send the guy and SAY it's his pipe, I suppose.)
And then there's that missing dot business. Could it be lost in a reflection somehow?
I simply don't know what to do. :?
Any and all help appreciated. :D

May 31, 2012
I am glad to see that you've finally got around to working on my cherished pipe,

thank you.

:puffy:
(I do have a new Chris Asteriou billiard that's almost exactly the same size I could just send the guy and SAY it's his pipe, I suppose.)
That is your best bet.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Did the guy send the woodpecker that was digging for the larva, with the pipe? 8)
I'm sure there was no return address, since he didn't identify himself in the letter. :evil:
All in all...the work's not much different than shown in the recent thread on replacing wood. :roll:

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I honestly think that was sent as a joke. There is no way that pipe is repairable, is there?

May 31, 2012
I'm sure there was no return address, since he didn't identify himself in the letter.
I did too identify myself, but my signature was a cryptic glyph.
The way I see it,

I'm the new owner of an Asteriou pipe.
Win win.
Although that old Dunhill does have a lot of memories,

I feel okay with George's swap solution.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I want to know what magical tobacco is capable of changing wood grain when smoked. If it turns straight grain to cross grain, will it turn cross grain to straight?

May 31, 2012
:lol:

This post wins the internet today!
I was rolling on the floor,

was gonna try and maintain a straight face here in this post and talk about how I didn't want the Asteriou after all, because that vintage Dunhill side-draft was actually a patented design, similar to the vented cases, and known as "ventage" , and it has an amazing effect of amplifying the flavor intensities of any tobacco, and hey, it took me forever to find the *just right* period-correct zip tie, not to mention the extremely rare nomenclature, I doubt I'd ever be able to find another, if I'm reading it correctly it dates to 1912, and that particular White Spot on the stem was a special prototype made before Alfred finally settled on ivory...
...that's it George,

I've convinced myself that I simply must keep the old pipe,

please send it back post-haste.
Just give it a quick polish on the old calico wheel, and apply some BlakAsNite on the stem to retore its original lustre.
Thanks George,

I knew that you'd be able to help me out!

:)

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
LMAO! I understand now. Sometimes good wit and sarcasm gets lost on me when I read it. The other day someone started a lighter thread about lighting his pipe with some lighter that produced a cooler flame. Cosmic wrote something about the tobacco in his pipe getting so hot it actually caught on fire!, lol...Funny as hell but I had to reread it a few times to understand the joke.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I don't see the problem. Clearly the two pipes are the same. It's just had some Mixture 79 burned in it.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I think I truly laughed out loud more today than I have in the past year.
You guys rock. 8)
Thanks for playing. :lol:

May 31, 2012
Were you able to track down the year on the band?
From what I can see of it, the hallmark appears to be from London and I'd speculate that the 74 most likely indicates the year 1913, probably meaning that the 1912 date code in the nomenclature can be further pinpointed to the later months, possibly even December 25th, which would make it the very first Christmas pipe ever issued by a renowned pipemaker, and adding yet another layer of historical significance,

not to mention monetary value.
I can't quite make out the first character preceding the numbers on the finely crafted band, so I can offer no concrete opinion, however, the band itself provides a clue - the fact that it is made with a high-grade pigeon's blood ruby from Burma would point to the pipe being a long lost part of the infamous Mogok three pipe set. For those who've never heard of the mysterious Mogok Dunhills, the pipes were a special order made bespoke for a very distinguished gentleman with royal connections named Sir James George Scott.
Up until now, only a handful of well-seasoned Dunhill collectors even knew that they existed, but with this current publicity, I'd bet there's a large throng of newer collectors out there salivating over this specimen, and if put on the auction block, there's no telling what it could ultimately fetch, the skys the limit, perhaps Sotheby's would be the appropriate venue for such an incredible artifact and no doubt,

the final hammer price will be a showstopping stunner.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If you're any good at your craft you will restore that old Dunhill to its original glory and condition as pictured in the

first photo. Now get to work sir! Lol. What a waste of postage.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.