PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Me too. Why can't a pipe be vintage AND unsmoked? If the pipe dates from 1912 and has never been smoked, then it's a vintage unsmoked pipe.... yes?
Yes. One has nothing to do with the other. Although it the pipe was 100 or more years old it would technically qualify as an antique, not vintage. Vintage is a more amorphous term, anyway, but it's somehow less stuffy a term than antique.
I guess there are a lot of you who were virgins and married virgins when you got married. After all, you wouldn't want to put your lips or other body parts where anyone else had gone before. The wedding night must have been a sybaritic thrill, Chinese basket trick, Kama Sutra, and all.
And of course, when you fall off the perch your pipes and tobaccos will be set ablaze in a grand funeral pyre as you aren't hypocrites and would never consider subjecting anyone else to the debasement of smoking a used pipe of yours.
So why do so many sellers use the words "vintage" and "rare". Really? I mean THAT'S a question? Can't anyone guess? Here's a hint. They're trying, however ineptly, however pitifully limited their command of language, to SELL something and in the process, make it look ATTRACTIVE so that it will SELL. OK, so now take a guess why they use those words.
Somewhere along the line people got the impression that rarity automatically equals a higher price. Rarity equals bupkis. There are lots of things that are rare and nobody really wants, like, for example, an honest politician. But sellers, desperate to latch onto anything that might add a couple pence to the exchecquer, will turn to this erroneous, overused, and trite language to pitch their poxy wares.
In any event, whether it's women, pipes, cars, houses, CD's or any number of other things, I have no issue with something having been used. And when it comes to sales pitches, I actively ignore them and just assess the item I'm considering buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.