PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve been smoking this pipe a lot lately and I have to say I’m impressed. Lovely little smoker. Haven’t even been bothered by the funky stinger even though I’m not a huge fan of them and find them gimmicky. Hasn’t diminished the smoking properties at all. Nice draw, cool smooth smoke. I’m impressed by this Kaywoodie.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and seanv

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Holy smokes, what a find. I'm in the tobacco belt (N.C.) and it seems all the pipe smokers were soon addicted to cigarettes, almost nothing in pipes at flea markets, junk shops, antique shops, etc. So I am especially impressed. All my (well-loved) American factory pipes are from contemporary inventory. That stinger is not a bad thing at all. Mostly I just remove stingers, label them, and store them, but my Kaywoodie Drinkless Ruf-Tone smokes like a champ, the only stinger pipe I use, and does nicely indeed.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Congratulations! Those early Kaywoodies have super high quality ebonite that hardly oxidize. The one on this pipe looks barely tarnished. But those stingers are an abomination! I'm convinced they encourage condensation rather than prevent them. I'm glad you're experiencing the opposite!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’ve been smoking this pipe for awhile now and I’ve got to say it is remarkably good.

These vintage Kaywoodies are quality pipes. I always thought of them as drugstore pipes but having the opportunity to smoke one from new condition there’s nothing low budget or cheap about it. Stem is comfortable and durable, the briar seems very good and the draw is perfect. No issues whatsoever. I know they were highly regarded as workhorse daily smokers back in the day but didn’t think I’d ever get the chance to have a “new” one to enjoy. I’m impressed!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think when that pipe was made, it was the main luxury pipe, and probably cost more than a Dunhill, though at the time, both were easily affordable by most employed pipe smokers.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Nice find, grain looks good too. If you find a nice 5179, snag it. It’s a big brother to the 72. Kaywoodies from early 50’s & prior I’ve found to be solid smokers. The early push stem (stinger & non-stinger) pipes are solid VA performers.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
That’s a cool find. I think the logo was moved from the top of the stem to left side in the mid to late 1930’s; you can find info on the web. I don’t get too hung up on dates.

Old Kaywoodie and Yello Boles are fabulous smokers. They were kinda like the Cadillac of pipes back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.