PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Never fails to amaze me what you can find sometimes. Box of old pipes, mostly rubbish, and there sits a pristine, mint condition, unsmoked Kaywoodie 5172 pipe that if my Google Fu is correct is from 1933 - 1938, and probably a pre-1936. What are the odds of finding an unsmoked pipe like that just sitting there after all that time. Quite shocking, actually.

I think I'm going to smoke it. Looks like it might be a nice pipe. Tickles me to find stuff like this. Found a Linkman's Grabow from roughly the same era, also unsmoked in its original box not long ago. Crazy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos or it didn't happen!

How to place a photo in a post:

If it's on your computer, you can drag it into the REPLY Box directly, or to the Image box (see below) after opening the dialogue box. If you are LINKING* to an image, click on the Link button and paste the URL into the box that opens. The symbol to LINK is the right hand symbol on the upper left of the box. (Looks like a tilted infinity sign.)

No need to resize, as the server will do that for you. Choose full size image, not thumbnail.

* Photos from many—even most—websites can be displayed by copying the image's URL, usually by Control-clicking onna Mac; or right-clicking on Windows, selecting the URL (often stated as "Copy Image Location" or similar words), then copy/paste that into the window.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yeah, I was just laughing to myself, as I was sorting through the box. Found three pipes: the Kaywoodie, a Peterson 150s Meerschaum Donagal Bulldog (in the box with the original sock and literature, LMAO) and the old Emerson that I've got another post about. $15 each. The Peterson was smoked a fair bit and needs some cleaning up, but still.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Awesome find! So fun when you stumble upon stuff like that.

I nabbed a kaywoodie 500 from the 60s unsmoked a while back, and got a great barely smoked super grain from the 30s for $20 as well, and recently a batch of 3 estate kaywoodies, 2 were for restoration practice, the other happened to be an unsmoked kaywoodie westbrook. All for $19.

All that being said, my favorite Kaywoodie I have now, when it comes to smoking, is a newer relief grain churchwarden poker i got from @crashthegrey (greywoodie, LLC) It is an unbelievably good smoker, with a regular tenon stem and everything haha.

20190710_104128_250x250@2x.jpg

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I've only had one other Kaywoodie, a panel from the 50s and it smoked just fine. Nifty little pipe, but the stem and button just never got along with me very well - a bit thin for my preference, but the pipe was pretty dainty to begin with. I sold it on figuring there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just didn't grow on me after about a year or so. This one has a much heftier stem and button and is right in the zone for my liking. I've read they made a fine pipe from quality briar and although some folks don't love the stingers it seems they have good engineering and smoke well.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've only had one other Kaywoodie, a panel from the 50s and it smoked just fine. Nifty little pipe, but the stem and button just never got along with me very well - a bit thin for my preference, but the pipe was pretty dainty to begin with. I sold it on figuring there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just didn't grow on me after about a year or so. This one has a much heftier stem and button and is right in the zone for my liking. I've read they made a fine pipe from quality briar and although some folks don't love the stingers it seems they have good engineering and smoke well.
In my experience that is quite true in most cases. That westbrook I have actually looks like really nice briar, and is quite a looker. I haven’t brought myself to smoke it yet but probably will at some point.

The ones I have smoked are great pipes.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's a fine looking churchwarden! I'd be proud to have that in my collection too!
I was honestly shocked at what a great smoker it is. Really turned my head on newer Kaywoodies. I’ll probably get another newer one soon.

Right now it’s my Tilbury pipe. It may stay that way, they pair awesomely.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
EDIT: Oops, in one of those posts above I meant *Grabow Westbrook. Typing too fast and too many estates kicking around, hahaha....

Status
Not open for further replies.