PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
THAT, my friend, is one awesome pipe !
Congratulations. :clap: enjoy that beauty on fathers day ! I'm sure you deserve it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I kicked off Fathers day with some MM965 in the GBD. I had never smoked 965 in a new pipe, to this point. Wow, what a great smoking pipe. I was a little worried since I discovered it was made early in the Cadogan era, but it smokes just like my older ones, but new! I look forward to developing some cake, but the first smoke was cool, dry with a perfect draw. Plus, my wife gave me this cool hat for summer driving in the MGB. It sure was a great way to start Fathers Day.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Great looking pipe. Are GBD's all hand made? I have noticed there are many in the estate market for some rather nice prices.

Some have hand-made stems, but the strummels are machine made. There may be some higher grades that are, but someone with more knowledge than I would have to answer that. Nothing I've ever read (there isn't a lot) mentions any handmade pipes. They are good deals to be had on Ebay. Watch for the pre-Cadogan era pipes as the modern pipes aren't of the same smoking qualities. USUALLY a metal rondel means pre-Cadogan but not always, as this particular pipe has the metal rondel. But is stamped in the circular "Made In London" with "England" underneath which was used after the Cadogan purchase. Post-Cadogan (1981) stamping reads "London England". I assume mine was probably a transitional piece, made in the early 80's.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The pipe proved to be a very good smoker, no regrets on this one. It dawned on me that this was the first black Prehistoric I've seen. I have only seenbrown stain to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.