PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hi all,
Recently acquired an unsmoked Kaywoodie 500 series smooth billiard (shape chart 11). I have read that these were a lower end Kaywoodie line, mine apparently from sometime between 1959 and 1967. Does anyone have experience with these particular Kaywoodies? I have read alot about Kaywoodies' being great smokers, but that it was mostly older ones (like pre-1936 old) that were really good.
It was cheap and unsmoked, and I am intrigued by their history, so I grabbed it on whim to give it a shot, just wondering if anyone out there has smoked them and what their thoughts are.
Thanks!
kaywoodie-600x356.jpg

Frank

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Forum member "crashthegrey" is a Kaywoodie collector and sells Kaywoodies on his site https://greywoodie.com/. Maybe he'll pipe in with some info.
Just sent him an email! Thanks!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Thanks for your email. Definitely a "low end" pipe from 1957 to 1967. But low end just means that the grain didn't stand out so it got a darker finish and a more "standard" stamp. They smoke very nicely and should easily fit in your rotation. Feel free to reach out with any further questions. Thanks for the shout out scloyd.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Sweet! Thanks for the email response! Good to know what I've got, pretty much what I was expecting, thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On into the 1950's, Kaywoodie was the Cadillac pipe and cost more than Dunhills, though both were within reach of most of the pipe-smoking public. Even the low-end briars they make today are fine little push-bit pipes and a true bargain. As a ten-year-old, I should have bought a dozen Dunhills with my birthday money and pet-sitting funds. That's a handsome Kaywoodie, and I suspect it will have many of the old Cadillac traits that marked the brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Partly because of this thread, I'm smoking my Kaywoodie straight briar blast panel billiard with a tapered stem that I bought six or eight years ago. I'm smoking Amphora Burley in it, a sample a member sent me from the Chicago pipe show. It's a good pairing and a fine little pipe, just about right for after a meal. Kaywoodie still made a fine pipe, if no longer in the premium category. Next maybe my Yello-Bole Checker, also a straight billiard panel with a checker themed carved pattern. Some of these retro pipes are pleasantly beyond their price point for the job they do.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I assume it has the original stinger ball (3 hole?). If so, if you are patient, Kaywoodies offer an excellent smoke. Great stems. All of mine have the stinger ball, I suspect with the ball cut off, they may smoke even better.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not sure about the stinger ball, but from what ive read it should. pipe should arrive monday.
And yes it wont be unsmoked for long. I dont buy pipes to stare at them. Thats what tv is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.