PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jazz, I had to look up what Bergamot was. The last time I smoked fresh OGS was back in 2012. After smoking through my 1997, I ordered a tin to see if I wanted to cellar it. All I got was grass and hey and don't remember if citrus was there as well. I am going to find that tin and see what it looks like as I only smoked one bowl of it. I'll let you know after I smoke it to see if I get that Bergamot flavor.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Harris,
Do you detect any difference between the FVF tins with the older gold paper liners than the newer tins, age aside?
To my palate, the blend seemed to change a bit around the 2006-2008(or '09) mark. I believe the earlier Empire tobaccos were a little better (sweeter maybe?) Could just be me, but I've heard from others this may be the case. Can't prove any of it, of course. Just wondering if you noticed any difference.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
For me fresh GS tastes like orange blossom and honey. Get no grass or hay from it but it's so light. If I have a tin it's usually an in between smoke to break up heavy blends, also like it mixed with Peterson PP, hits those sweet notes and has some bass and depth to keep me happy. With Orlik I prefer Dark Strong Kentucky.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
oldtoby,

Harris,
Do you detect any difference between the FVF tins with the older gold paper liners than the newer tins, age aside?
To my palate, the blend seemed to change a bit around the 2006-2008(or '09) mark. I believe the earlier Empire tobaccos were a little better (sweeter maybe?) Could just be me, but I've heard from others this may be the case. Can't prove any of it, of course. Just wondering if you noticed any difference.
The only tins I have been smoking lately are from 2004 with the gold liner. I have a bunch of 2012 bulk but haven't smoked any of that in over a year and only remember enjoying it. I think I have some 2012 tins around here somewhere and will try and find them. I can crack one of those and maybe do a comparison to the 2004.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That spicy note is supposed to be Perique, though folks debate over whether they can taste Perique in there. In any case, I consider OGS the "old dependable" of the extensive list of wonderful Va's and Va/Pers. If you have to grab something in a hurry, and don't want to consult reviews or notes you've made, OGS won't disappoint you. If it were rare and three times the price, people would swoon over it, instead of calling it old dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.