PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
Considering that most tins of tobacco are blends of some degree, what's the best way to figure out what I actually like? I read on these forums, "I like VA's", or "I like Burley". My question is, how do you know unless you start trying pure examples of these?

It seems like a lot of this is just trial and error, which I love.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Yes, try as many different tobaccos as you can. I can't imagine another way for someone to know what they like or dislike.
Early on in my pipesmoking, I was encouraged by my B&M to just stick with a tobacco till I got my smoking down as a craft. Then, I started just sampling as many different blends as I could. It is best to try a few oz of each, as one bowl of something isn't enough, especially early on. So, I tried new tobaccos one tin at a time. Worked for me, YMMV.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Somewhat like Whiskey, coffee, or even music I suppose. You have to develop a palette for it. I have had a lot of single batch whiskies with and without ice, water, coke, etc. Did the same with coffee with and without cream, sugar, cinnamon, etc. And music, I still need to find a good recording of a good score of a harpsichord as I still can’t pick one out of a piece that says it has one.
I’d recommend you find a few pure leaf tobaccos, or blends, and try them out. You could go so far as to buy a tobacco leaf from fair trade tobacco and experiment that way. In the end however, you’ll probably find you prefer a blend of more than one type. It’s a fun journey.

thebigragu

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2019
Needs of the Army
like cosmicfolklore and frozenoak said it's trying blends and acquiring tastes and going with your palette. which will change. If you smoke the same tobacco you will get tired of it or never learn the complexity of different blend or companys because you might have Virginia's made buy different brands but they process it differently and will have a different taste. if your asking how will you know because most blends are mixed of different types of tobacco you go off what the base tobacco is.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Try different things, but try not to go nuts and have 20 things open at once. Cosmic’s approach would serve you well.

If you want to get a feel for the general types of blends get an ounce or a tin of one of the archetypes and see what it’s like. I’m not talking about the unicorns, just the solid citizens. Avoid aromatics to keep the tobacco flavor to the forefront.

Way back when I’d tried a bunch of single type blending leaf to answer the same question as you. That’s not a bad start but it’s just the beginning of the fun.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I guess I was wrong then. I should have put that for me smoking the same tobacco I get tired of it
It's all subjective to the individual. Decades ago I was probably thinking the same thing with the myriad of tobaccos before me.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
My question is, how do you know unless you start trying pure examples of these?
Looks like you answered your own question. It wasn't until I smoked a straight virginia that I realized what part virginias were playing in some of the blends I smoked. One of these days I'll sample some straight perique ?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Personally I am glad to be long past the "finding the right tobaccos" stage. I fully realize that many here love the variety. I will still try something new if moved to do so by something reported here. I will admit to a certain admiration and, a wee bit of envy, of those who are always willing to try something new ... just for the heck of it.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yes, its a fun journey finding what you are into. I did find it quite helpful keeping a spreadsheet for some very brief notes as I was trying through my first 100 or so blends, it can be hard to remember what you thought of something if you last smoked a few months/years ago. Also your palette changes and your appreciation of a blend changes as you clock those 10,000 hours with a pipe (at an hour a day I only have another 20 years to go).;)

Isaac

Mar 1, 2014
To some extent it just takes some time to develop your palette, but you’re probably never really finished. One of the best things about the Pipesmoking hobby is the near infinite variety of experiences to be had from burning leaf.

Thank God the genres of tobaccos aren't as cliquish as music was in high school. All the latakia guys would be wearing black t shirts with blend names on them, chains, and leather jackets. The burley guys would wear sports gear. The Virginia guys would all have pocket protectors and bandaged glasses. And, the aromatic guys would be frolicking in the fields in their pinks and pastels.

Status
Not open for further replies.