PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuel52

Lurker
Mar 14, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Hey Everybody, I'm a new member here and a brand new pipe smoker and want to say hi for the first time! I've been lurking around here for a bit and it seems like an awesome community, congrats!
I just turned 40 a few weeks ago and after lots of research, I bought a couple of MM corn cobs (Country Gentleman, Legend, Cobbit Dwarf) and also bought 4 different Aromatics to try for my first smokes. Lane 1-Q, Peterson Sunset Breeze, some local shop Black Vanilla Cavendish and Three Cherry.
As most beginners, I'm a SUCKER for a good sweet aromatic like 1-Q and I'd like to know if anybody has any recommendations for any under the radar aromatics that they love? The kind that doesn't get a lot of publicity.
Thanks guys! I'm loving my first few weeks of the pipe!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Hello! You started just right with your variety of aromatics, in my opinion. A little taste of all the big flavors. A nice, sweet aromatic that I really loved in the beginning was 4th Generation 1897. It is pretty goopy, but I really enjoyed the flavor. I hardly smoke it any more as I evolved into desiring a more "natural" taste to my smokes, but it is a fun nostalgic trip every few weeks.

fuel52

Lurker
Mar 14, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Thanks for the suggestions snoopy and lightmybriar. Is there a company that does aromatics better than others in general? Lane, MacBaren, etc?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I'm enjoying C&D's Apricot & Cream. That was the first C&D aromatic I ever smoked. For some reason I had an allergic reaction to it back in 2008. Recently decided to try it again and have been enjoying it in a cob without any problems.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I prefer Lane when it comes to the "big name" aromatics, although the only aromatic I've had from Mac Baren is Vanilla Creme Flake (which I really enjoyed), so I can't comment on their stuff. I've never had a Lane that I didn't like, though. I would recommend RLP-6 from Lane, its good as well!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I guess I march to a different drummer in that I see 1-Q as a crap aromatic for people who haven't really found tobacco yet. It only goes up from there. What are better aromatics? Well, as 90% of the field is aros, I don't think one person can really tell another what to smoke, you need to just keep sampling the field to see what is around and what you like!
If anything, I would say to listen to the pipeguy in pa above and at least try Bagpiper's Dream. After you tire of the usual BCA and RLP-6, you might also want to explore some of the Lakelands. The only way you learn is to try. If you must go Lane, check out Dark Red.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
The Country Squire Cherokee and Indian Outlaw are good Cavandish aromatics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fuel52, welcome aboard. It sounds like you are well-launched in your pipe activity. In recent years, I've focused on non-aromatics, but lately I've looped back around to some aromatics in my rotation to set up and freshen my taste for the non-aros as well as to experience some of the good tobacco-forward aromatics offered. There are a number I favor, but two are Edward G. Robinson, that has been actively appreciated by Forum's member jiminks, and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, another one that he has reviewed that I also discovered, some years ago. A Forums member recently sent me what looks and smells like an especially good aromatic from Boston's Peretti's, a seasonal blend in Krumble Kake cut, Thanksgiving Dinner, which I look forward to trying. Forums members are sometimes teased about aromatics, but as we often remind each other, aromatics make up about 95% of the market, hence support the whole market, aro and non-aro. So smoke aro's proudly.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Hey fuel, welcome. All good suggestions, above. I have an aromatic or two on hand and recently discovered Solani 131. It's a lighter aromatic with a whiskey flavor, but you'll get a bit of tobacco taste as well. Enjoy the adventure!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Ahhh I'm kind of partial to McClellands bulk aro's like their Creme Caramel.
Also not everyone considers this an aro but I do as it does have a flavored topping(I think I taste coconut and vanilla). Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake.

That would also be a great intro to Virginia's!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Exnay on what? :mrgreen:
img_20170126_074406-337x600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.