PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
If you could invite any one person, either someone who is currently living or who ever lived in this world, to join you for an evening of dinner, a smoke (or two) and conversation, which one person would you invite ... and, briefly, why?
(NOTE: For the purposes of the question, it is to be presumed that your invitee would join you in a smoke, whether or not they actually DO/DID smoke in their life.)

tankbuster183

Lurker
Feb 27, 2014
Deptford NJ
mm9449.jpg

Dwight Eisenhower. Appetizers would be talking about West Point, dinner would be the presidency and the drink/smoke would be D-Day.

I've been unfortunate enough to have had the opportunity to actually meet and have dinner with a few of my heros, and I will never take the opportunity again. Bob Dylan is a dickhead, and I just assume to erase meeting him from memory, as it taints my enjoyment of his music. Willie Nelson and John Prine, while being a great couple of guys, I just didn't have anything to say to them. And, a few others. My best friend used to be in charge of the Alabama Theater where some of the best musicians and artists would pass through, and I had great opportunities, that I stopped taking. The thing that crosses my mind now, when I pontificate doing this again, is that these people are complete strangers. Even though we think that we know them through their art or news about them, we really don't know anything at all about them. The person and what we think we know are completely different things.
I realize this is a creative exercise, and I don't mean to throw a monkey-wrench in the fun. I was just stating my experience... please continue.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hi Cosmic,
You make a very good point. Besides Twain, well, actually before Twain, I had thought about dinner with my father when he was a young man. The few writings I've found of his from his youth are so very different from the father I grew up knowing.
Also, I wouldn't mind another one on one with Ray Bradbury, but since I've already had that very great pleasure, I figured I should go for a new experience.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I would love to have dinner and a smoke with Ben Franklin or Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I think the both would be fascinating. I don't know if Ben smoked a pipe or not, but knowing that he loved life to the fullest, I would say that he did.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
my avatar speaks for itself... yet as Cosmic points out, I might not get much out of the conversation as he would probably be talking above my head whilst I made fart jokes. The obvious answer would be Christ, and since I do not know if he pipe smoker he again may not fit the mold...or any other really. So I will have to go with Hugh Hefner...for obvious reasons...

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
We he a thread like this a while back, it was lots of fun!

Though it was more of a "top five people" kind of thing. It ended up being more like "top five forum members" instead of historical figures, which was also a lot of fun!
I guess if I had to pick just one historical pipe smoker to have over for dinner, it would probably be Mark Twain. He seemed like a fun guy, and wasn't afraid to speak his mind!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Frederic Chopin if I had to pick just one. Of course he would have to play for me
After that, Albert Einstein although I doubt that I would have anything to say to him. LOL

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Oh wow... good question/topic. I've racked my brain trying to come up with just one and can't seem to do it. There are so many men in history I'd love to spend time with in this way. I suppose, to be honest, I'd give my last breath to spend the time my grandfather... he meant so much to me.
That said, here are my top 4 (I think) in no particular order:
Bertrand Russell - his writings really helped me through a confusing spiritual time in my life.

C.S. Lewis - I read many of his books as a teenager but don't think I fully appreciated the man's mind until I read his biography.

Friedrich Nietzshe - quite sure he could make my head spin with new ways of viewing the world.

Ernest Hemingway - hell, I don't really know why... just think I'd enjoy the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.