PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I posted a similar thread some months ago. It was not restricted to historical figures, but it was indeed fun!
My choice would be JRR Tolkien. As well as being a serious pipe smoker he was a man of letters. If, for some reason, he declined I would choose Arthur Conan Doyle, another piper and writer but also a spiritualist; so maybe he could conduct a seance and bring Tolkien to the table. Now that WOULD be something!!

1fatbbqr

Lurker
Apr 21, 2013
I would have to say Jack London. His stories have definitely inspired my love of the outdoors.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Great Grandfather on my father's side, because the family knows so little about the past.
I'd love to pick the brain of a past ancestor. And I'd love to hear stories of the good and the bad.
All of this would ideally be recorded, because hell yeah.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I hate to be that guy, but I'd invite Jennifer Lawrence or Anna Kendrick.
But I'd probably have to go with my grandfather on my mom's side. I didn't get the chance to meet him as he passed before I was born, but I've always heard cool stories about him. It'd be cool to talk about his time as a pilot during WWII and hearing how he disciplined his kids (my mom and uncles and aunts)because I've heard some pretty funny stuff. He wasn't a pipe smoker, but he was a smoker and I don't think he'd be opposed to smoking a pipe at all. He seemed like he'd be a very latakia forward kind of guy.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Easy choice for me, Thomas Jefferson. I would like to hear his views on his devotion to Deism and The Enlightenment and how it influenced the writing of the Declaration Of Independence and his political views. Even smoke some of his straight Virginia tobacco with homemade distilled spirits.
Second on my list would be Kate Upton :D

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'd have to go with either Tolkien or Einstein. Both of them are above me intellectually, but I've heard that both were also very fun, charismatic people. Tolkien especially seemed to be a fan of the "common man". I'm sure they'd even be able to have an enjoyable conversation with an imbecile like me.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Now that I smoke a pipe I would love to have dinner with my grandfather and discuss pipes, fishing and life.

He's the memory I salute everyday.
+1
- Can I have my grandfather and Mark Twain? I think I would get a hell of a tongue bite if it was Olivia.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Ulysses S. Grant - The stories he could tell, the drinking, the smoking, it'll be an entertaining evening. From what I've read about him we're alot alike, personality wise.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
My aunt Pearl who always enjoyed the smell of my pipe and had great stories to tell.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
Someone that shares my political viewpoint, Will Rogers.
Edit: After posting, my avatar reminded me, One more conversation with my dog Mick would be my first choice.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Years ago when this question was first posed to me, my choice was Thomas Jefferson and he has remained firmly ensconced at the top of my list for all of the many years since ... I can't think of any other individual whose contributions to this (or any other) country come anywhere near the magnitude as do Jefferson's ... one of the little known reasons I find him so fascinating is that he so delighted in hosting dinner parties of the very type outlined in the question ... so much so, in fact, that he invented the lazy susan and the dumb waiter for the express purpose of having food arrive in the dining room without it having to be borne by servants ... his lazy susan was an entire door with shelves that rotated and allowed him to take plates of food and serve his guests himself, then remove the dirty dishes and send them away ... similarly, his dumb waiter brought food up from a basement level where it had been prepared ...
He was an utterly brilliant man who could hold a learned conversation on any topic with any other individual ... and, although the question was posed in such a way as to pre-suppose that anyone selected for the dinner invite would join in a smoke, Jefferson was a tobacco farmer who was a lover of the leaf (in particular, the VA tobacco that I find so alluring) ...
IF, for some reason, Jefferson were somehow unavailable on the date of my dinner, Mark Twain would have been my second choice ... he too was a brilliant man of many accomplishments who would make an utterly fascinating guest for an evening ...
It's interesting that even in the limited number of responses to the question so far, some of the most common answers have been given ... in the years I've been asking this question of a great many people , the most frequent response is that they'd opt for a deceased parent or grandparent ... and a significant percentage say Jesus would be their choice ... a surprisingly (to me) frequent answer we've not seen given here is Elvis, someone I'd never even consider and cannot fathom why anyone else would either, given the many preferable alternatives.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm a fan so I'd take Cary Grant as my first choice, as he smoked a pipe, was apparently a gentleman in real life, as well as (usually) the screen and second choice, JFK. I would imagine that he may have a story or two to tell, both politically and personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.