PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkskythe

Lurker
Mar 30, 2017
Hello, I am a new pipe smoker from the UK (have tried changing my profile to say UK instead of USA but it does not update) and there are 3 blends i have read are highly recommended for beginners due to flavour and forgiveness for beginners. I have searched via google and tried cross-referencing flavours via the tobacco review website but am not really getting anywhere, hence why i am asking on here to hopefully get some advice from veteran pipe smokers.

The 3 blends i am looking for equivalents available in the UK are:

Lane 1q

Scotty's Trout Stream

McLelland Frog Morton
I have seen some websites ship over here but have found shipping costs are almost more than the cost of the tobaccos so doesn't really justify it and am a bit apprehensive about ordering larger quantities as there are so many flavours i imagine i will be trying as techniques and tastes evolve i don't really want to end up with an abundance of tobacco stored in the house, lol. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and can offer some suggestions.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Hi there and welcome from another new boy on the block.
For the Lane 1Q you might try this: (it claims to be a copy)
https://www.thebackyshop.co.uk/products/gawith-hoggarths-american-delite-pipe-tobacco
In any case, I do recommend The Backy Shop for online purchases. I use nobody else for pipes or tobacco.
I can't help with the others, but I'm sure someone will pitch in - there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here.
PS: I'm a Brit too and also can't get rid of the US designation

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I can offer no practial opinion but...
I've read that Frog Morton and SG Perfection are in a similar vein.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
That "American delite" looks pretty good, actually. I trust SG/GH with aromatics, even if they did unleash Lakelands on the world and now, like a raging epidemic, cannot call them back.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
deathmetal - I was thinking the same. I am not an aro smoker generally but I was considering getting 25g of it next time I put an order in

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I am not an aro smoker generally but I was considering getting 25g of it next time I put an order in
Some here have spoken fondly of their Coconut and Maple twists as well (I think Cosmic was in this group) as well as some kind of chocolate twist. In the future, I will acquire and review these, because it looks to me like they are top-notch aromatics.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Didache, I used to use the Black Swan baccy shop but soon moved over to Mysmokingshop.com based in Cheshire. More choice, often cheaper, lower p+p rates plus (usually) next day delivery.
Regards,
Jay.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
That "American delite" looks pretty good, actually. I trust SG/GH with aromatics, even if they did unleash Lakelands on the world and now, like a raging epidemic, cannot call them back.

Metal, you know you're starting to crave the Lakeland flavors. Lol.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay: I have used mysmokingshop a few times. They would be equally recommended. On our other conversation, my daughter does not think she knows Christian - but she did finish at Falmouth in 2010.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Didache, I have remembered the other chaps name, it was Dennis Gartside. He had a nasty stroke a while ago which not only stopped him lecturing it has made him pretty housebound. Your daughter is sure to remember him, a really tall bloke, way over six foot six!
Regards,
Jay.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Darkskythe:As for overseas orders from the States, you can't go wrong with smokingpipes.com and their affordable UPS Supersaver shipping option,but be prepared to wait up to a month,yet keep the ordered quantities on the lower-side, since the UK Customs authorities and similar services in other Eu member states could turn tricky when they seeing parcels coming outside of Eu continent.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"since the UK Customs authorities and similar services in other Eu member states could turn tricky when they seeing parcels coming outside of Eu continent."
Paul, I have contacted a few US tobacco sales sites in the past asking if they state 'Tobacco Products' on the parcel to which they all replied that yes they do as it is a legal requirement.
Therefore, my understanding is that UK customs will want a slice of the action so to speak so some creative thinking is required :wink:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.