PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
"I am telling you boys, us pipe smokers will be a dying breed 50 odd years from now."

So will I.

Nothing to worry about.

Tis the will of the people, they keep voting for those that are more enlightened than they.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
These are the same thugs that believe the world is drastically over populated. Yet, they are soooo concerned with saving your life.
Keep on smokin'........ :puffy:

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
@redglow

It's times like these (which is also most of the time) I'm glad I'm a bachelor because the cries of "think of the children" as they clutch their Pearl's has no effect on me and likely never will, as I don't have any ankle biters.

szconrad

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
This "one size fits all" approach to legislation is certainly causing a lot of issue for us pipe smokers. Do I think that the amount of nicotine that is consumed in smoking a pack of cigarettes every day is harmful? Yeah. There's certainly science behind that. In my case, I don't smoke pipes as a nicotine delivery system. That is simply a secondary result. Forcing us into small corners to bend at the will of a piece of legislation that doesn't speak for us? Nonsense.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I disagree with the sentiment that pipe smokers are a dying breed. Imo, I feel like there is a resurgence of young (ish) people, aka late 20s and beyond, who are turning towards the Pipe. I've seen a good number of younger guys at my B&M as well as personal friends who I've gotten to pick up the pipe, at least occasionally, in lieu of cigarettes. (I'm in my mid 30s as well as a large portion of my friends). While I do think that people who enjoy a pipe will continue to be a small number in comparison to the larger population as a whole, I feel like that's been the trend since atleast the 60s, and blends have come and gone, But there will always be men (and possibly women) who the pipe will call. As long as there is good tobacco (which despite the ever looming tobacapoloyse I am generally optimistic about) there will be people who will smoke said tobacco. I dont know if this will hold true in 60-90 years from now (when most if not all of us will be dead and gone) but in my lifetime, I dont see it going away or dying

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
People will always require a pleasant distraction from the everyday trials, tribulations and boredom of life. The pipe/tobacco provides this reprieve.
When there is nothing to distract the masses from the daily grind and pain of life, that’s when the natives get restless and start giving the big F U to their so called “leaders”.
Hopefully there are some in the younger generation willing to stand up for themselves and the rest of humanity.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't smoke pipes as a nicotine delivery system.
You may choose to deny the evidence but, the nicotine is being properly delivered into your system. And, you ignored the big health hazard ... the carcinogens from incinerating the tobacco. Any displacing of oxygen in your blood is not doing you any good.
You'll enjoy your pipe much more when you accept it for what it is ... an enjoyable diversion which may harm your health but, you accept the risks. And, the nicotine is what makes your pipe enjoyable. If it wasn't there, the body wouldn't get any satisfaction from the experience. Just accept and enjoy the pipe and tobacco, the accompanying nicotine and carcinogens included, and enjoy your pipe. Embrace the known risks as most of us do. It's what makes us rebels and social pariahs.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Not that I wish to age any faster, but I'm kind of looking forward to my future grandchildren's reaction to my habits and activities... "My grandpa smokes TOBACCO, and drinks whiskey all the time! He also likes to eat animals THAT HE SHOOTS with a GUN!"
However, being that I live in a rural area of the Midwest where drinking, hunting, and to some extent smoking are all alive and well, it might not all look so weird after all.

Jun 23, 2019
"Find what you love and let it kill you."
But let's not pretend like smoking tobacco, pipes or otherwise, is not killing us.
Of course, we're a dying breed!! :lol: I don't think OP meant it as a pun but that shit made me shoot coffee out my nose and into my pipe (I'll be invoicing you shortly). Our hobby literally accelerates our death, that's a scientific fact. The point @warren made nails it: don't delude yourself to believe otherwise, the pipe experience is about the nicotine. The "relax" is not the merriment of sucking on something, otherwise Castello would be making $1000 lollipops.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
UK aims to eliminate smoking by 2030
This presupposes that the UK will still exist in 2030. With the Brexit mess I'd not be surprised if Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales decide that being part of the EU is preferable to being part of the UK. Might be just England left by itself when all is said and done.
Anyhow, I agree what some fellas on the thread write about smoking a pipe being about nicotine. I know smoking a pipe isn't good for my health. I know that I also drink more than I should. These are things I enjoy in spite of the fact that they may kill me. I also know that I will eventually be dead no matter what I do.
The quote that the Trickster uses above may or may not be from Bukowski. It doesn't matter.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Unlikely. The tobacco pipe and leaf market may indeed be diminished if the variety and introduction of new blends is strangled. But eliminated? I doubt it. Not massive numbers, but spinning wheels and muskets are still in use. Some Forums members have cellars that will last long after 2030, if the members do.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Our hobby literally accelerates our death, that's a scientific fact.
I've never seen any evidence ("scientific" or otherwise) that the average lifespan of pipe smokers is any different than that of non-smokers.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've never seen any evidence ("scientific" or otherwise) that the average lifespan of pipe smokers is any different than that of non-smokers.
Professor Brad Rodu of University of Louisville has published his own analysis of FDA statistics showing that there is only a minor health risk associated with moderate pipe and cigar smoking. He holds an endowed chair on tobacco harm reduction at the university. I mentioned it here on another thread a week or so ago.
While I concede that smoking is any form is unhealthy, there needs to be honesty in the discussion about what the risks really are. The anti-tobacco crusade has risen to the level of an irrational, emotion-based moral panic, and I don't think pipe-smokers on the whole are doing ourselves or the general public any favors in agreeing with the overbroad assertions such as "smoking will kill" us and the like.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Well we are way ahead here (New Zealand), Smoke Free 2025 is the goal. Though there is a referendum next year to decide if marijuana will be made legal. I figure I've got til then to get my cellar stocked, if im lucky. Currently tobacco tax goes up 10% on the first of January each year until then.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Good God. They were less dangerous when they were preoccupied with foreign lands to seize and native populations to subjugate.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
As long as there is mail order, and people willing to ship to others (doesn’t matter the country), people will get what they want. Now pulling an Australia and banning personal imports is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.