PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
As long as somebody out there has something to bring them comfort and joy, the FDA will work tirelessly to seek them out and quash their desires.
The story from today's New York times mostly mentions the national threat of e-cigs to our young, but if you read further they feds also have their eyes on our pipe tobacco. Requiring proof of ID makes me think Internet purchasing is the target of the legislation. I hope I'm wrong.
F.D.A. Will Propose New Regulations for E-Cigarettes
The Food and Drug Administration will propose sweeping new rules on Thursday that for the first time would extend its regulatory authority from cigarettes to electronic cigarettes, popular nicotine delivery devices that have grown into a multibillion-dollar business with virtually no federal oversight or protections for American consumers.
The regulatory blueprint, with broad implications for public health, the tobacco industry and the nation’s 42 million smokers, would also cover pipe tobacco and cigars, tobacco products that have long slid under the regulatory radar and whose use has risen sharply in recent years.
The new regulations would ban the sale of e-cigarettes, cigars and pipe tobacco to Americans under 18, and would require that people buying them show photo identification to prove their age, measures already mandated in a number of states.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Frustrating, foolish, angering. Business as usual. In 10 years we won't even be allowed to use harsh language...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I just finished listening to an FDA official on the radio explaining the need these new regulations. It seems their anti-smoking efforts have been so successful that increasing numbers of young people are turning to pipe smoking which is increasing the use of tobacco products in general.

Jan 8, 2013
When are they going to focus their efforts on real problems? How about we target the fast food industry. Heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the US. McDonald's and Burger King are killing more people than tobacco. Obesity is at an all time high, yet smoking has reached all time lows.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
To my mind regulating e-cigarettes is like putting restrictions on flavor straws. Imagine FDA officials raiding the school cafeteria and seizing little Johnny's strawberry infused straw? Yes, I can.

Jan 8, 2013
Well, I can see the basic point. Ecigs do appeal to children because of the flavors. I can vouch for that as I caught my child, who has never one gone near cigarettes or pipes, trying to take a few puffs off of my wife's ecig. We promptly stopped using them, and decided to find a better way to quit smoking cigarretes.
Ecigs, and all nicotine products, do need some kind of regulation. But placing ridiculous sin taxes on everything and making it impossible to get a good deal online by requiring in store, with id, purchaces is more of just being a pain in the ass. Parents, regardless of what they might think, are still overall responsible for what their children do.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Long ago parents abdicated their place of authority to the almighty government. We the people have only ourselves to blame. Cigarettes and other tobacco products, as well as alcohol, were readily available to minors when I was a kid. Then, just as now, some kids found a way to partake in them while others - like me - had to much fear/respect for parental authority to even think about it.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Long ago parents abdicated their place of authority to the almighty government. We the people have only ourselves to blame. Cigarettes and other tobacco products, as well as alcohol, were readily available to minors when I was a kid. Then, just as now, some kids found a way to partake in them while others - like me - had to much fear/respect for parental authority to even think about it.
Well said sir.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Maybe I don't understand. I was always under the assumpution that you had to be 18+ years of age to purchase any type of tobacco product and that a photo ID with the purchers birth date on it was always requried. Even purchases from websited already 'require' age verification. So, maybe, I'm not quite understanding what this bit of legislation is for or about.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'll be smoking my pipe by the fireplace, comfortably nestled in the mountains of New Zealand. Now taking applications for roommates! :puffpipe:

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think it has anything to do with protecting minors. It has everything to do with a few powerful people attempting to control others.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
When are they going to focus their efforts on real problems? How about we target the fast food industry. Heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the US. McDonald's and Burger King are killing more people than tobacco. Obesity is at an all time high, yet smoking has reached all time lows.
^This.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Maybe I don't understand. I was always under the assumpution that you had to be 18+ years of age to purchase any type of tobacco product and that a photo ID with the purchers birth date on it was always requried. Even purchases from websited already 'require' age verification. So, maybe, I'm not quite understanding what this bit of legislation is for or about.
I believe the idea is that currently the FDA only specifically regulates cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. The FDA got court approval to be able to regulate e-cigs on the basis that nicotine is derived from the tobacco plant, and thus falls under FDA scrutiny. As far as I have read, the main focus in articles has been on the effect this will have on e-cigs. The current proposal would force ID requirements specifically on tobacco products that were not specifically mentioned. The e-cig companies also have to submit reports to the FDA for review in order to continue sales. At this point, the move does not ban advertising or the flavors that anti-smokers blame for kid appeal.
Pipe tobacco and cigars seem to be a smaller footnote that is not really being discussed by the media. This will likely lead to additional "sin taxing", and will make pipe tobacco more difficult to obtain and/or pricier even on the online market.
All I can say is that we need to stock up on tobacco. I'm only 26, and I plan on living forever. I don't have enough tobacco to sustain myself over the incoming difficulties. Personally, I plan on selling some pipes, halting PAD, and focusing heavily on my cellar. Pipes will always be there, the tobacco may not.
When are they going to focus their efforts on real problems? How about we target the fast food industry.

This sort of idea is the cornerstone of many of the First Lady's ideas. Proposed soda bans/taxes such as the ones in New York are an example of similar ideas. While I am of the mind that there are some people with good intentions here, the fact of the matter is that we are being fooled. The point of "healthy legislation" has nothing to do with the greater good. It has nothing to do with freedoms. It has to do with money. Sin taxes are big money; just look at Colorado's marijuana tax revenue. We get hit from both sides. We are forced into health care, and we are forced to pay extra for the things that make us unhealthy. The end result is that the government gets payed, and we lose our ability to choose what we want for ourselves.
I personally am guilty of being a fatty and a smoker. I do not seek government assistance for healthcare, I pay for my own privately because I do not expect you all to pay for my health just because I want to eat a Big Mac and chain smoke my pipes. The problem is that I also don't want to have to pay more for that burger and tobacco just because the government needs the money to pay for the heart surgery or lung cancer treatment of the next fatty/smoker that can't take financial responsibility for their own choices.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess if you are a non-smoker among other non-smokers, stamping out pipe smoking (among other forms

of tobacco/nicotine use) seems like a worthy mission. I guess my perspective at the moment is a little

subjective and naval gazing, but it is bittersweet irony to me. I grew up swimming amid drug use, of every

kind -- hard, soft, psycho-active, and so on. Never did it. I had specific reasons (family health history).

I also doubted that anyone was going to gather my sad addicted ass off the curb and rescue me. So I went

right along, to the Vietnam War, the Moody Blues concert where people were standing on chairs naked tripping,

and so forth. I did pass out under a tree after a rapid pint of vodka, but didn't drink that much mostly. So now

the FDA would inveigh against my having a bowl or two of pipe tobacco in my golden years. Okay, okay. But

don't ask me not to laugh at the irony of it all. Freud pointed out that the larger the group taking the action

the less intelligent the action is. Freud made most of his pronouncements on the basis of a few observations

and little or no data, but I think -- shooting blindfolded as usual -- he hit the bullseye that time.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Ever see "Escape from LA"? The critics panned it for being mostly a remake of "Escape from New York", shot for shot in some parts even....but if you pay attention to the list of rules that get you sent to LA Max, well...we are slowly heading that way...
Here's a quick list of the films new "Moral America" laws: tobacco, alcoholic beverages, red meat, firearms, profanity, non-Christian religions, atheism, and non-marital sex are all offenses punishable by deportation to LA Max or you can 'repent' and be executed by electric chair.
Gettin' there...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I edited it out of my earlier post, but it's too funky not to mention, the book by Freud that includes the

theory about progressively larger groups making less and less intelligent decisions is:

"Group Psychology and An Analysis of the Ego." If you ever need to kill a conversation in its tracks,

just quote that. The silence will be deafening and unending, which is sometimes useful. On the other

hand, if that's just your kind of wonkiness, the book is thin and available in paperback, and fairly

interesting, though as noted in my earlier post, you have to approach Freud with vigorous skepticism.

He really snowed people of his era because they were self-conscious about sex and were too antsy to

argue with many of his fanciful assertions.

Status
Not open for further replies.