PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For the sake of clarity, I would correct that to: The goal is a total ban on all tobacco use.

Some forms of "smoking" are apparently perfectly acceptable...whereas all forms of tobacco use are unacceptable.
This.

I saw it with my university's "100% Smoke Free" new policy: no tobacco of ANY kind, regardless of whether it's smokable or chewable or what have you. An intelligent, logical person would argue about where exactly is the harm to any bystander if I take a pinch of snuff just before writing that difficult exam; if anyone's getting harmed it's only the user, right? But, the university head is not a logical person, or intelligent.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Including the fact that nicotine is finally being medical accepted as having very real therapeutic effects.
To be fair, you are not, medically delivered nicotine sans the carcinogens of smoke delivered nicotine may have some benefits. You are being very selective and omitting the important caveat so as to suit your self-serving observation. Now your observation should carry no weight for the discerning reader.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
If this passes through the house and senate Im almost positive Trump will sign it. His instinct is to ban anything he views as "dangerous", just look at his stance on flavored vapes, assault rifles, etc.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Don’t
If this passes through the house and senate Im almost positive Trump will sign it. His instinct is to ban anything he views as "dangerous", just look at his stance on flavored vapes, assault rifles, etc.
Don’t mention Politicians, that gets political. Next thing you know people start telling you who to vote for. “Vote for So&So he’s pro tobacco” etc. As of Now the topic is in the philosophical region. Skating ever so slightly.:);):)

Reactions: Worknman

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
This issue is neither "left," "right," or any in-between. It's obviously comforting to some people to want to believe that some group (other than smokers) actually wants to preserve this "hobby," but as the Koreans would say, they have no Nunchi.

They didn't notice when non-smokers complained about having to wash their hair and clothing when they came home from the pub. It was a big ol' "Fuck you!" and a puff of smoke in the face. "I like to smoke when I drink and piss off if you're not into it!"

People don't forget that.

They don't forget all of the littered cigarette butts on the ground, overflowing ashtrays of stink, burn holes in your buddy's car seat, medical problems to pay for, and on and on. It has come to a head. "Right," "Left," "Middle," they're all fed up! It's very clear.

We're lumped in with cigarettes, like it or not, but even so, people don't want to suffer our pollution in shared space. I don't blame them. Why do my intrusive rights supersede theirs? It's like someone sitting next to you on a park bench and letting out a beastly, stinky fart that lingers. How many times are you going to take it until you tell them to fuck off?

It's almost a non-issue now, to the majority, as they assume anyone left is just going to eventually kick off and the problem is solved. If a few laws are passed along the way to push it over the line faster, all the better, for them. The majority is not even really thinking of us much, as it's just a relic that will soon die off.

Society just doesn't like smoking; it's a vast majority now, who don't smoke, by the way. We've had quite a few societial changes over the centuries. There's always a group complaining about their loss. Now it's us... for those doing the complaining.

Luckily... you have seen this coming. Hopefully, if you want to continue to smoke, you've done more than complain and have built up your stash.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Alaskan- Good on you! I tried once, but it, uh, backfired.

I remember a Douglas Adams story... it sort of goes something like this:

He's at the airport or some public place waiting, with a packet of chips on the table. The stranger next seat over leans in and takes a chip.
Douglas is thinking, what the hell? So he takes one and gives the guy a look. The stranger looks at him with a bit of annoyance, takes another, and then it goes back and forth until the chips are done, neither saying a word, but obviously getting more annoyed.

Douglas gets up to leave and finds his unopened package of chips under his newspaper.

That killed me.

McBragg

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Los Angeles
Tobacco! We're discussing tobacco legislation, not air pollution. Focus "ron123", focus. But, per your argument, air pollution is detested by most everyone and heavily legislated against. Very similar to smoking. Cafe standards for autos address exhaust pollution. Factories are more regulated than tobaccos and the fines are more than you or I would want to pay should pipes be regulated the same.

But this is exactly how they will put a death nail in smoking, anywhere. I listen to a radio station streamed on my PC as I work. Every break there is a lengthy add about how secondhand smoke kills. They cleverly play the ad at every break repetitiously to brain wash. And in the end, the non-smokers have it drilled into their heads that secondhand smoke is worse than nerve gas. And it's not secondhand smoke anymore, it is now 'Passive smoking inhalation'. The beating of this drum has a goal... no smoking anywhere ever!

That said. There was a tragedy where I live. Our representative was forced to resign, as she was photographed naked enjoying her glass pipe. I bet she would have gone to bat for us smoking our non-glass pipes, naked or not!

But I guess the moral of that story is... don't throw stones if you smoke out of a glass pipe!

j

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Why do my intrusive rights supersede theirs? It's like someone sitting next to you on a park bench and letting out a beastly, stinky fart that lingers.

Statements like this always seem to get made in these discussions for some strange reason. "Intrusive rights" (whatever exactly that is) have nothing to do with it.

Who here is arguing that they should be able to intrude on anyone?

Prohibiting smoking in public places is an entirely separate issue from prohibiting on-line tobacco sales...or eventually prohibiting tobacco use altogether.

Society just doesn't like smoking

No, society just doesn't like tobacco. Some forms of "smoking" are acceptable...just not tobacco...or any form of tobacco use.

It's not really about "smoking"...public or private...it's about tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.