Two Very Special Petes Found Their Way to My Rack (pic heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
So yesterday I was walking through a part of town I don't usually do and saw this small B&M I have never noticed before. Al wooden panels, old, kind of decadent.

I cross the street to look at the window. There's a small display of pipes. Old pipes. Attractive pipes.

A couple of antique bamboo Stanwells, two free hand Jeantets -never seen a freehand by them before- and some 3 other good old pipes.

I decide to go in.
I ask the attendant about the pipes in display. He brings them over to the counter and gives me a brief history of each single pipe together with pricing.

The pipes are nice and the pricing is a bit on the high side, but every single pipe is unusual in its own way and very difficult to find down here.
I ask him if by any chance he happens to have any Petersons. He says he only has one left and that it is an old one.

He goes to the back room and after some noisy fumbling comes back with a red "The Return of Sherlock Holmes" box. I think, "well, not a treasure, but it might be interesting..."
I open the box and my heart skips a beat while I rapidly blink.

I close them for a second and open them again. Look at the pipe in the box. Reach for it and stop just short. I'm afraid it'll disappear once I touch it.
I've been looking for this pipe since I started smoking early in 2015. I know it is not very long but I had a burning desire for this pipe.
It is a Peterson 1997 Special Edition. The first ever Special Edition pipe.

It is unsmoked and in pristine condition.

I reach for it. It is #296 of 1000.

I doubtfully turn it around. And yes, it is in perfect condition.

I hesitantly ask for the price in what I thought was an assertive tone. The guy says a number. It is a high number but not a crazy one. I utter a single word, a lower number, and wait. The guy scratches his head and says "why not. Deal".
I want to run out of there and take my find home and spend some time just looking at it.

I´m suddenly exhausted and excited at the same time.
After paying I turn around and start making my way to the door. As I am about to reach it, the man says "hold on for a second sir...". I freeze. He has changed his mind...

He then says that if I have a couple of minutes to spare he could probably find the original box in the back room.

I almost jumped back to the counter and almost shouted "yes, please!"
He returns with a gray cardboard box, with black stripes and a golden Peterson logo and smoking man and, in his other hand, a wine colored hardshell case, the ones used for modern Turkish meers.

He says that while looking for the box he found this other pipe which might interest me. He had forgotten he had it.

I open the case. It is a 1905 Patent Military Mount Straight Billiard, the only other Original Antique Collection pipe -besides the 1910 Bulldog- I care for.
He says a number.

This time I don't try to bargain.

I walk out, smiling, with this two very special pipes.
Cheers,
J
3_zpswxffd42n.jpg

2_zpsjigncjxb.jpg

4_zpsojdzxdh4.jpg
]
5_zps0uhovcpi.jpg

6_zpsbwbiy4jq.jpg

7_zpse1xrrns6.jpg

8_zpsdsfgbv3m.jpg

1_zpszf4fohqd.jpg

3_zpsytgkyhsj.jpg

2_zpsm5uxsffw.jpg

6_zps39mmky18.jpg

7_zpsvl5v4m2j.jpg

5_zps21qusf3k.jpg

4_zpsvmrje0pd.jpg

8_zps1rydv4xo.jpg

9_zpspwiltagp.jpg

1_zpsnc8kmsbm.jpg

10_zpssyc2m7ze.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Classic pipes. How on earth did you miss this place before? Maybe you'll go back and the lot will be overgrown with brush.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Starting to catch the Peterson bug myself. Those are two treasures in my book. The Bird's Eye on the 110 is way cool. Unfortunately there is no such place near me. Good for you.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Sounds like you found a really cool shop and you surely found some lovely pipes. Congrats. :puffy:

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Great finds. The '97 is easily one of the prettiest Petersons I've seen. I also love the slight bend in the stem.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow. What a story- I think we all wish for adventures and finds like that. For some, the thrill of the hunt is one of the best parts of the hobby. Congrats on finding one of your grail pipes so soon!

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Thanks for your kind words and for reading my little story on the find.
I'm very happy with these new pipes and sharing them with you and your comments make me even happier.
Cheers,
J

4etecjonathan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2015
YOU!!!!!
Just happen to be the luckiest sod that I have heard from in many a moon.
Jon :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.