PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Small local antique shop has its fall gathering. Vendors are set up outside as well. I walk up and find a box of mostly low end pipes. No biggie, maybe a diamond in this bunch.
Top pipe is a Linkman's Dr Grabow Deluxe Briar Patent 1896800 Shape 9710. Propeller logo on stem and gold shield on shank. After some research dates from 1932-1941

Bowl is a bit out of round from use and reaming, but still servicable. Not sure whether to clean it up and use it or leave as is and look at it. It was loved for sure. Need a few opinions.
The other is a Soren Freehand. Made in Denmark. It has a relief carving of some "leaves" or something on the back side of the bowl. Stem is in great shape. I will tackle this one and smoke it soon.
I got both for $60

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks, I don't have a freehand so I plan on keeping it for use. I have enough pipes, but enjoy the hunt and the history. The Linkman/Grabow is at least 73 yrs old and that alone is cool.

I really wonder if its worth a pro-restoration or not.

K

klause

Lovely pipes, and a great deal. I particularly like the Soren.
I have a couple of 'em, and adore them - great smokers, and 'classic' Danes!!
I hope they bring you much pleasure, Voorhees.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
As someone mentioned here before, and I believe it was Josh Burgess of SPC, all those years of cake cover a multitude of sins.
I would clean the stem inner workings and the bowl airways on the old Grabow,, and tend to the outisde of the stem if necessary. I'm speaking the perspective of having taken a non COM Peterson ( probably from WWI or early 1920s era ) down to bare wood in the chamber, and being forced to smoke it only once a week because with almost 100 years of use, the briar has lost some of its absorbing properties and smokes wet with more than one bowl through it without extended rest.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I spent some time on these two over the weekend. I will get pictures, ran short on time this weekend.

I did a very light cleaning on the Linkman's Dr. Grabow by using a Mr Clean Magic Erasure to remove the grunge on the outside while I soaked the stem in OxyClean. The rim was had a fair amount of carbon, but I got it down to wood again and re-polished the entire pipe.

Inside the bowl was good, very small amount of cake, as I said before it was probably scraped with a pocket knife after every use. Unfortunately the bowl is slightly out of round. Stinger is not completely intact, I think it broke off at the tip at some point. Stem is in great shape overall.

The Soren Freehand was a bit easier, however someone had reamed all the cake out to bare wood revealing linear cracks in the bowl. I made some pipe mud, filled and coated the bowl with it. They did not do a great job at the draft hole and I had to work that out to better align it at the bottom. Stem was in good shape too after a Oxy bath.

Lightly cleaned the outside and used some olive oil to bring out the grain. Polished up it looks great, I did leave some carbon on the plateau, as it has nice character.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I like the Soren too. A Danish freehand is definitely on my "want list", and it looks like you found a good one for a good price.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a handsome freehand. Some freehands have more presence than others, but this is a well designed pipe.

I have one freehand myself, a Johs "tomahawk," nice big bowl with plateau on the brim and shank, my only freehand,

a Christmas gift, and a favorite. I like it especially because I wouldn't have bought it for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.