Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I use Tupperware to store/cellar my tobacco. All of a sudden I get second thoughts about it. Do you thing they will develop a plastic taste over time? Glass jars have rubber sealing too, haven't they...?

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
As far as I know, Mason jars have a silicone seal. I don't think the seal will impart any flavor. I can't answer on the Tupperware issue, though.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would think the tobacco would ghost the Tupperware more than the Tupperware would ghost the tobacco.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Yeah, I'm thinking tupperware might be a problem. As tobacco ages, it might start to break down the plastic. You might not be able to see it, but it's happening. Now picture yourself lighting up a bowl of plastic-tinged anything.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
When I tried the new Half and Half, it tasted like lighting up plastic-tinged tobacco. I did not enjoy it.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Many years ago, I used a tupperware container to keep a few cigars. Not for decades, but from one month to the next, or even a couple of months. It was OK for short term and think that if you are keeping an opened tin in a tupperware container for a while to prevent the tobacco from drying out, it should be OK. For long term storage I'd stick with glass. Whether the seal on the mason jars is rubber or silicone, so little of it is exposed to the tobacco that it does not matter. If you want to avoid glass for some reason, some folks have good success with mylar bags for keeping tobacco.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yep... Tupperware just ain't gonna cut it for keeping tobacco fresh over the long term.

Go with the well proven Mason jars or sealed Mylar bags.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From what I read, most plastics designed for food storage excel as moisture barriers,

but volatile organics can "walk" right through them. Tobacco will be moist, but unfit.

So, phil67 +1

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Not sure about the taste thing but I don't think Tupperware is the way to go for long term storage. It's not going to keep your leaf moist and fresh. Mason jars are the way to go afaic. :puffy:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Another agreement that while Tupperwear should not negatively impact flavor from the plastic standpoint, its not adequate for long term storage.
Mason Jars are the well accepted and proven solution to this. The silcone ring should not be in touch with any of the tobacco anyway.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
I use tuppaware to put pipes in while I travel, nice and sturdy and you can get it in basically any shape/size you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.