PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
I would like to ask you for your opinion about Tsubota lighters. Are they worth their price? How often does a regular gas lighter need maintenance? The flints are compatible with the Zippo ones? My previous inexpensive plastic pipe-lighter (electric) broke down after long years of usage and now I'm looking for something to replace it. Nowadays I use simple safety matches and they do the work. Still better than burning my fingers with regular lighters or than the taste of Zippo fluid - not to mention that its fuel is constantly evaporating even without using it. So please tell me about your opinion or experiences about Tsubota lighters or, if you have something else in mind to recommend, please don't hesitate to share it with us!

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I have a Tsubota pearl Bolbo lighter, I originally wanted an Eddie but read/got told the spring that holds the tools in places stretches over time thus doesn't hold the tools tightly.
I don't use zippo flints, I prefer the IM Corona flints as they seem harder as they last longer but yes there all a standard size.
I've owned the lighter for at least four years and apart from changing the flint and cleaning the soot off it I've done nothing else to it and it's remained faultless. Easy to fill and holds enough gas to last a while. I paid around $70 and I'm happy with the lighter at the price.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
I would guess you have already bought something, but to pad my post count (so I can unload some of my tobacco to you guys at some point) I'll chime in with this.
First was the English Dunhill 'Unique' at around $500 to start nowadays, as well as the French Dupont at around the same prices...probably a bit of the 'paying for the name' upper crusty thing.
As I understand, the Japanese copied both and did it well, even better than the originals...Sarome, Tsubota, IM Corona and lately the Kiribi. The IM Corona 'Old Boy' being the benchmark. I have not heard much bad about any of these, but nothing lasts forever, and service on the Old Boy is very good as I've been told. I have a Kiribi, Sarome and a Dunhill, and use the Sarome Dupont knock-off the most...it just feels good in my hand.
I would venture to say that any Japanese made lighter at around $100 would please.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
At the moment I decided to spend on pipe and tobacco instead of lighter. So I picked up a relatively cheap Zippo pipe lighter and I'm totally satisfied with it. The taste of fuel goes after the first puff, so it is not disturbing and it works reliably. Of course one day I will buy an "old boy" style lighter as well, but until that there is Zippo and matches. I think I will stick to Tsubota as they have the best-looking models.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice looking, but it uses lighter fluid. Gah!
Much better for my druthers are the SI Dupont knockoffs, $25. Solid as a tank.
he_latitude_06-1030x1030.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pardon the silly questions, but;
1) is that a butane lighter?

2) does butane light the same way?

3) does butane fuel evaporate in the same way as fluid in a zippo?

4) are butane inserts available for a zippo?

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
1.no.

2. no...lighter fluid (or Naptha) vapor does better in the wind..tastes bad to some. I used naptha, it's cheap. Try some Vaseline or grease on your Zippo fluid insert to seal it from air.
3. no...butane is a pressurized gas, if it leaks your lighters busted...fix it (usually a seal) or toss it.
4. yes...Ebay a Thunderbird Zippo butane insert. I have one and it works OK...so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.