PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I only smoke two blends these days: Classic Samsun and Frog Morton on the Bayou by McClelland. However, I have this feeling that there is still a long way to go, so many blends to explore (smoke) and enjoy.
1) I'm thinking about buying Royal Blend by Peretti, which has Virginian and Orientals.... but does it taste like Classic Samsun?
2) I guess I love English blend by now after smoking FMoB... but it says that it's Balkan blend. What kind of sorcery is this?
3) Can someone recommend me an English blend? Would you recommend Penzance or Middle Earth blend for a beginner like me?
4) I think I'm gonna try some Virginian flake... I only smoked Escudo Deluxe Navy and Brindle Flake by McClelland, but I thought that both of them were bland... Can someone recommend me a good Virginian flake with medium-full taste and medium-low on nicotine?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
1. Haven't smoked either, but does it have to taste like what you already like to be enjoyable? It might be similar, but not the same.
2. There is much discussion in the pipe world about these categories. I did a thread on this very topic shortly after I joined. You can see my definitions of English, Balkan, and Oriental blends there.
3. I love Penzance, but would not recommend it for a beginner. I would recommend Peterson's Old Dublin for a beginner, myself. It's not gonna taste like FMoB, which has perique in it. The Frogs also are what are sometimes referred to as "crossover latakia" blends - there's an added top note which I, for one, do not care for.
4. From what you said earlier, you are smoking blends that are not about subtle flavors. Virginias frequently are subtle, requiring an experienced palate to enjoy. You might like Hartwell Signature.
Part of enjoying pipe smoking is appreciating subtleties in flavors,including subtle distinctions. Take your time with any blend - don't expect it to taste like something else. Accept it for what it is, and decides if that's wheat you want in a blend. :puffy:

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Get them all, for a short answer; it's the best way to discover your tastes and build a cellar. If something doesn't tickle your fancy right away, stick it in a mason jar and buy something else, then revisit it in 6 months or a year--your tastes and the tobacco may have better luck meeting then.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I hate to reiterate what everyone else has said, but it is very sound advice. I especially like the comment made by Jud: "Take your time with any blend - don't expect it to taste like something else. Accept it for what it is, and decides if that's wheat you want in a blend.". That is very very good advice. I smoked a pipe for 5 or 6 years and thought that all of these people that were tasting all these deep rich flavour notes in straight Virginia tobacco were just feigning some sort of sophistication or something. But something kept me coming back to them. Now I am a confirmed straight Virginia lover. Your palate will change and then it will go back to something that you used to like but don't now and make all sorts of twists and turns like that along the way. Explore, shelf the tins you don't like in a mason jar for later sampling or trade the ones you are sure you don't like for something you think you might like, and most of all, enjoy the smokes you are having and judge them for what they are.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I am new to trying different blends my self right now everything runs on the sniff test. My local tobacconist is very cool about me pulling jars off the shelf and giving them a sniff or 2 as I try to make up my mind. Most of his stuff is 2.79 an ounce and I don't mind paying that to try a new blend because even if I don't enjoy it I'm only out 3 bucks. Also by new I mean up until 2 weeks ago I had only smoked captain black white for almost 12 years. I now have 10 different kinds and will be picking up more later today. So far only one has been awful. Go here http://www.sterlingtobaccoco.com/index.html send them an email with your address and what you usually smoke they will send you a generous sample of a blend that they feel matches your current taste as well as a sample of the bargain blend they make. They sent me old dominion which I found quite enjoyable and the bargain blend has now replaced the captain as my go to blend.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I step to the bargin shelf, with blends that aren't moving. You are able to try blends at half the price.

tab812

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Floyds Knobs, IN
IMHO, If you came across Penzance for sale while looking for other tobaccos, I would buy it. If you don't like it now, chance are you will later. In the rare circumstance you didn't, you could trade it for about anything. It is so hard to find now, I would not pass if you saw it online or at a B&M.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Alright, thank you all for your advice!!! I just sent an email to Sterling Tobacco requesting for a sample one. I think I am also gonna order 1 ounce of British and Royal Blend of L.J. Peretti!

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I didn't like Escudo that much... I don't know, maybe it's because my clay pipe was too short and I got bits of burning tobacco on my tongue... not a pleasant experience at all...

sweetbriar

Lurker
Feb 15, 2011
balkan supreme and old dublin worth a try..conrnell and diehl tuskegee airman worth a try ..we are lucky, there so many good ones out there.. :)

Jul 12, 2011
Love Penzance, Peretti's Royal & Omega blends all fantastic...a GREAT med-English/snag some Smokingpipes.com's/Low Country Tobacco "Cooper" again one of my all time fav blends

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you like the Frog, I don't see a reason not to try Penzance. True, the taste is different, but both have an enjoyable complexity. H&H Black House is a Balkan worth mentioning, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.