PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
What I mean by straight is unblended.

I want to review all the tobaccos I've been enjoying, but I know too little to discribe the flavor of each type of tobacco in a blend.

Does anyone know where I can get just straight tobacco types?

I want to try stand alone:
Black Cavendish
Perique
Latakia
Burley
Virginia
Kentucky
(And dark fried varients of these)

Are there any tobacco types I'm missing? And are there other varients (such as dark fried) that Ive failed to include? If someone could compile a list of all the stand alone tobaccos there are to try, and where I might find each in bulk unblended id be very greatful.

My hope is by learning the individual flavors of them, I can better identify them in blends for reviewing. And perhaps use them to experiment making my own blends.

Thanks in advanced!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
C and D, Robert McConnell, Gawith and Hoggarth, and others makes blending leaf you can buy in tins and bulk. I am not sure if these are one singular tobacco, or blends meant for blending, but thats all I know of.

Reactions: Patrick_Green

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I dont know of any blends that use it but there are also Rustica varietys. I grew some indoors last winter as an experiment. You can get it in whole leaf form from leafonly.com

Reactions: Patrick_Green

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Well spill the name of the site. I dabble in blending but I often have difficulties finding what I want.
You can find a long list of blending tobaccos here (the link will bring you directly to the list):

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Don't know if this has been done before, but if not I think it would be a good idea: for stores to offer a "beginner's sample pack" for just this purpose, to educate new pipers. It could just be like 1/2 or 1/4 ounce of each; an English blend, an aromatic, a straight Virginia, a straight burley, etc. As the OP suggests, I think this would be really helpful in learning to identify and appreciate the different tobaccos. I would have liked it when I was starting out.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You can find a long list of blending tobaccos here (the link will bring you directly to the list):

I smoke the stoved Virginia in the link straight. Simple yet tasty. I can see how adding it to a blend would be good.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Smoking PIpes has blending tobaccos as well, though you have to work to find them there, and Mars Cigars has blending kits from Sutliff, featuring blending tobaccos that they supply to other blenders.
If you can make it to the WCPS in a few weeks, stop by Mark Ryan's table - Ryan and Daughters. He's got wonderful blending tobaccos, orientals, periques, virginias, burleys, that you will not find available to the public anywhere else.

Reactions: sandollars

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't know if this has been done before, but if not I think it would be a good idea: for stores to offer a "beginner's sample pack" for just this purpose, to educate new pipers. It could just be like 1/2 or 1/4 ounce of each; an English blend, an aromatic, a straight Virginia, a straight burley, etc. As the OP suggests, I think this would be really helpful in learning to identify and appreciate the different tobaccos. I would have liked it when I was starting out.
Mars Cigars offered blending kits like this, or they used to. I haven't looked in many months. The kits were made by Sutliff.

Reactions: kylef

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Single leaf blending/condiment tobaccos pop up from many brands, and I suspect you might do better cherry picking rather than relying on one source. C&D has 'em, and Sutliff, and so on, but you'll spot them from many other sources. Unflavored black Cavendish and cigar leaf are good to have on hand, along with Lat, Per, Turkish, Oriental, Virginias of various kinds, burley, and so on. A little dusting of this or that will keep your pipe interesting. Mix them well in a pottery bowl (for example) so they are thoroughly mixed. Blends with only two or three tobaccos can also be interesting. If a blend has five or six tobaccos, I'd only add one condiment or the flavor might get muddy.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
smokingpipes also has c&d bulks for every thing you listed. I think they even have different types of burley as well as a couple different virginias (red and bright).

Status
Not open for further replies.