PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
I've got a 50g tin of the Frog (original) coming in the mail tomorrow, along with some softy bits from pipesandcigars.com. My question to you all is how does it smell as far as room note goes?
I'm gonna go ahead and confess: I am 18, and started pipe smoking the day of my birthday. After I got more serious, and really decided the pipe was for me I tried telling my parents. I know it is always more appreciated to be upfront than to run around secretively. Well, with the cig smoking history of my family, my Mom went bezerk. Needless to say, I haven't mentioned pipe smoking since then. I keep all my stuff stored away out of site, and I always try to be sure I don't smell like stale tobacco. I haven't had a problem with smell yet, however all I've had is mainly aromatics.
So, for the Frog will I smell like I've been sitting around a bonfire or BBQ smoker all day? I know I may sound stupid to most of y'all, but it has become a serious enjoyment for me. Kinda caught between a rock and a hard place!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'm 18 too. I just ask my mom "What where you smoking at my age?". That usually shuts her up. IU don't really give a damn what she thinks. But thats just me

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I have not tried it but my first tin of Balkan Sasieni had latakia in it and it stank like a campfire in the tin, I did not think I would like it. The flavour is good though and room note not terrible. I am 19 and my parents do not really care about my pipe smoking. It is just a casual hobby that I enjoy in moderation and never inhale.

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
I don't inhale either. I smoke 1-2 bowls a day, but I've missed a week and didn't think twice about it. My Mom is a non-smoker/anti-smoker. My Papaw has had lung cancer and surgery, my Dad has lost 25% of his lung capacity, and my Great Uncle has passed away; all of them due to cigs. Now, there is this general stigma on tobacco in my family. I'm basically screwed if my parents are home. So I just have to conjure up a fishing trip, or just wait for them to leave. It is pretty ridiculous; I think I'm 18 so I should be able to make my own decisions. Oh well, I guess this is life!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Frog Morton will hang on you, your hair, your clothes...etc. No good for covert smoking operations.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Fair amount of Latikia in the reg Froggy mate. Tin smells like smokey campfire, which is great but it will linger on you for quite awhile. Room note is very strong so it is sure to be noticed.

roguefox

Lurker
Mar 21, 2012
My mom isn't the biggest fan either, but she makes due.. I try to have more healthy habits than nonhealthy ones, and I always tell her I work out more than I smoke. Perhaps just tell her it is one of your unhealthy habits, but drinking a beer is just as unhealthy as smoking a bowl from your pipe(I don't know if that's true, but made-up facts are good in arguments! :lol: ) and that pipe tobacco does not have the same amount of preservatives and chemicals that cigarettes do, not to mention their stress reducing capabilities. Stress is a big contributor to many health problems! Failing any of this, I'd say keep rationalizing it, and when you move out it won't be up to her anymore.

Sorry, I know you didn't ask for my advice but I wanted to help.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
You only get one mom dude, don't piss her off too bad. When in Rome...

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I'm 18 as well and started on my birthday. The first time my parents found out that smoked was when I was 16 after I had just smoked a cigar. I got lucky though. My dad is a big cigar smoker so he fully supports my decision. As far as frog Morton goes, I haven't been able to try it unfortunately. Hopefully soon though! My advice to you is be upfront with your parents. It worked for me. I used the "at least its not cigs" approach. Good luck with whatever you decide!

pipeguy93

Lurker
Mar 19, 2012
Thanks Ohin3, I'll definitely save it for the days that I smoke then shower!
Thanks roguefox, but with my stubborn Mom these tactics probably wouldn't work. I just don't want to see what she would do if I brought it back up. I would likely be burnt at the stake.
dhizzy, I realize this and that is why I smoke "covertly". If I was to make it well known she would be even more pissed than if she is none the wiser.

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
Not sure how the Frog Morton makes me smell... If you're that worried about it smoke outside and don't let the smoke waft around you or onto your clothes. Now, having said that... Frog Morton regular and On the Bayou are my absolute favorites!!!! I think it tastes much better than it smells. Cool thing is it tastes and smells just a little bit different in each one of my pipes. I've learned a lot in the last 6 months of pipe smoking. When I first started I would buy really expensive pipes... I love good quality things. That's just me. I would think that I'd get a better smoke if the pipe was expensive. Definitely not true. Of all the pipes I have, the first one I bought was a $90 Big Ben Bent Apple. Least expensive pipe in my arsenal. After several months of smoking... I am really learning to discern all the interesting characteristics of each of tobaccos. Frog Morton tastes like heaven in my least expensive pipe!!! Go figure. The pipe even has an excellent smell to it when the baccy is burning in the bowl. It's intoxicating. I say you'll love the FM. I worship this stuff. Enjoy!

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
The Frog is not a good choice. She will smell it on you and your clothes. Just remember... She brought you into this world and she can take you out of this world... Maybe even make another to replace you? I suggest you smoke a really good smelling aromatic. That is how I won my mother over! She just did not want me smoking ciggs and she did like the smell of my Cherry Blend in the Corn Cob. That was 50 years ago and I was only 12! There are many even better aromatics out there for you today. So, if you will smoke, smoke a pipe and smoke a very charming aromatic. You may just win her over by default.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
You young guys have lots of years to smoke.

They will be better years if you keep peace in the family.

Do whatever it takes.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Mix up some 1-Q and CAO Cherry Bomb in equal parts and you will have a chocolate cake taste with a delicious room note! I call it Baron's Chocolate Cake Mix.
I smoke Froggy on the Bayou regularly and though she doesn't like the tin note at all, my wife likes the room note. No hiding it, though. Not gonna happen.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I've never smoked the Frog ( I have a tin but haven't opened it yet ). But based on my experiences with other Englishes and Balkans I will advise you to smoke the Frog outdoors and preferably whilst walking. Never indoors especially in an apartment. You won't smell like you've tended a bonfire all night but there will be a scent about you for a while.

So give yourself some air-out time. Shower and brush teeth and rinse mouth to pass a sniff test

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I don't inhale either. I smoke 1-2 bowls a day, but I've missed a week and didn't think twice about it. My Mom is a non-smoker/anti-smoker. My Papaw has had lung cancer and surgery, my Dad has lost 25% of his lung capacity, and my Great Uncle has passed away; all of them due to cigs. Now, there is this general stigma on tobacco in my family. I'm basically screwed if my parents are home. So I just have to conjure up a fishing trip, or just wait for them to leave. It is pretty ridiculous; I think I'm 18 so I should be able to make my own decisions. Oh well, I guess this is life!
Keep the peace with your folks, dude! Time will come when you'll have your own place and can walk around in the house in your skivvies and smoke all day ( make sure you air the place out ) :D
Just give them some respect : they give you a place to sleep, feed you etc etc. It's only fair to play by their rules. THAT is life !
And of course don't smoke in the house and leave no tracks :D

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
If you like Frog Morton, then I highly recommend Frog Morton on the Bayou. After trying that in Austin, TX during winter break with my best friends, this is my "go-to-baccy." I guess it was also a gateway baccy for Perique blend because I also love Escudo now.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
I love all the Froggys but ill admit you generally know ive smoked em. They have a distinct smell.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I think I'm 18 so I should be able to make my own decisions

While that is true you do live in their house. So just smoke outside. I sit on the front porch and smoke. I don't give a damn what my mom thinks because I know when she was younger she used to smoke pot and drink, so she can't say shit. Also my dad smoke black and mild cigars, so I often smoke with him. I'm lucky that one of my parent smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.