PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
My first pipe using bamboo...Worked out pretty well- also cut a Cumberland stem to go with it. Time for a cold one and a bowl...
4ln3ux.jpg

Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
+1 on the great looks of this pipe. How do you attach bamboo to the shank, and stem?

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Beauty! How did you work that design into the bamboo? Isn't bamboo very subject to cracking when worked?

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
That is a good looking pipe if I've ever seen one. I commend your skill. Thanks for sharing, and Enjoy that beauty. :puffy:

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
There are a couple of ways to attach the bamboo to the stummel- most common is stainless steel. In this case, I used delrin roughed up, and glued with a 5 minute epoxy overnight- seems to be an extremely strong joint. After everything sets up, I do the drilling of the airway in the lathe. Shaping is an enormous pain- I take it to a 1/16" oversize with a french wheel and then work the stem down to meet the bamboo with a fine grit 1/2" sanding drum. If you've been watching the progression over the past few weeks, I keep trying to build on some skills I already had and add a new technique on every pipe. Next time, I'll add an accent ring of ebonite at the beginning and end of the bamboo...On the subject of the SEM material- it's all I use- just love the way it machines...and the lack of a burning smell when I machine it tells me that it has a low sulphur content compared to the other ebonite on the market- I also love the green and the briar color as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.