Troubled by the tomato: to keep or not to keep?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
So I have this GBD tomato. It's a bigger pipe than I usually smoke. I typically prefer smaller pipes/shorter smokes. It's a different shape from what I usually gravitate towards. It's the largest pipe I own. I can't picture myself smoking from it. And yet, every time I get ready to let it go, something holds me back. It feels great in hand. IMO, it's beautiful. The walls are thick--I know it would provide a cool, pleasant smoke. But, it reminds me of the old Sesame Street "one of these things is not like the others" skit when housed with my other pipes. Still, I'm drawn to it. To be fair--a 'big' pipe for me isn't that large. It's not that much bigger than a Castello KK-sized prince pipe I own. But up til the tomato, the Castello was my largest pipe.
I guess I'm torn between keeping/using/enjoying a pipe, vs. simply collecting/storing/possessing a pipe. Collecting has its merits, but I'm (personally) sensitive about ownership simply for the sake of having. Anyone else had this issue? A pipe just doesn't really click with you--and yet, you just can't seem to let it go?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Id say sell it for something you know you will smoke. I don't believe in collecting, I only have a few but I smoke the Hell out of all my pipes.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I let a beautiful pipe go once because I thought the bowl was too deep. I've been sorry ever since.I would suggest that you hang onto it.Put it away.Maybe some time from now you may come to really like this pipe.If not you can get rid of it then.

Jan 8, 2013
I think there are times that call for a longer smoke. While reading or watching a movie, are two examples. If you like the pipe, keep it. You might not smoke it as much as your others, but those times that you do will be special. Personally, I have pipes in all sizes and I use them accordingly. Sometimes I don't want a long smoke and I'll go for something a bit smaller. Other times, it's the opposite. I believe in having a pipe, or pipes, for every occasion.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Since coming back to the pipe, I bought several because I liked the way they looked, and because I didn't "have one like that". I have since discovered that I like certain shapes (classics) sizes (group 4-5) and makers other than others. I have spent the last year fine tuning my small collection and am now close to having what I want. I say if it's "just not you", sell it or trade it for something you know you will love.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have a couple of pipes that I keep just for looks, but I find that there are times that they are the only pipe I want. I am not a huge fan of just collecting pipes, but I do have some that just fit the right mood or atmosphere. Also, I've changed my preferences a few times, you may find that in a year or two, that pipe will be just what you want, or that there is a particular time that only that pipe will do. Always look to the future.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
tom_collector_01-600x322.jpg

The tom in question. When I hold it, I randomly hear "my precious" in the back of my head...

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Does this pipe have a shape number? I am trying to figure out what shape you might be talking about.
Try this, smoke it and keep in mind that you don't have to clench it. Hold it in your hand in front of the fire. Load a half bowl or think as the bottom half of the tobacco as a filter for the first half. Just don't worry about the cost because it might be 30 cents worth of tobacco. If you still dont like it after smoking then get rid of it.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
"London England 9568" & on opposite side "Collector GBD New Standard."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Drydock, welcome aboard. I don't think a larger size is a reason to unload a pipe, especially one that holds some fascination for you. I have made a point of adding both extra large and very small pipes to my stable, along with many medium size ones. Each size has its use. A big pipe is perfect for smoking seated and thrashing out projects and plans and "deep thought." Small pipes, which I used to regard as toys or souvenirs, have many uses in sampling or full-length smokes with flake/coin/plug/rope. So I think this is your needed large pipe, and you just have to learn how and when to use it. Not really a problem. Culling your stable of pipes is not a bad thing, but I don't think this pipe is a candidate for that, from the way you write about it. Give it some time. I'd say it's your go-to big pipe.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
Thank you for the kind welcome, and thanks all for the comments. I've had this pipe out all day, mulling it over. I agree with everyone about having a different selection of styles/sizes as mood or tobacco type strikes you. Here's another picture of the GBD next to a KK Castello.
tom_collector_02-600x134.jpg

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Maybe you're just meant to own that pipe. Like destiny
+1
Keep it, let it sit on your rack and some day you might find a blend that just screams for that pipe, stranger things have hapend, Im sure Im not the only one that hears pipes talking to them

Status
Not open for further replies.