PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggdonn

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Does anyone know if there is a tobacco which is really like TROOST Dutch Cavendish was ? At least one mail order provider sells what they call a copy of it, but it actually is nothing like it. Related to that- are there European sellers who ship to the U.S.? Maybe some tabac still availble in Europe which is just not being imported?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Van Roosens' Troost? https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1306/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-troost-special-cavendish
I think they stopped production totally STG was making it and you could get it reliably from pipesandcigars.com for a long while but I think a year or 2 years ago they said they were stopping production on it. P&C does have a match blend and I suspect it's pretty close.
Update yep here was the post 3 years ago.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/troost-discontinued

biggdonn

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
Unfortunately, the P and C match version is nothing remotely like TROOST was. I mean it does not look, taste, or smell like it. I kind of wonder if they sent me the wrong thing, as I don't see how anyone could even begin to confuse what they sent with the real thing.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Still for sale in the Netherlands. I have it shipped to the UK then a friend there sends it to me in the US.

biggdonn

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
3rdguy: THANKS! I have lots of people who go to Europe (sometimes including the Netherlands), frequently. I will have them look into it !

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I found an old dried-out tin of Troost Special Cavendish from the 70s. I rehydrated it and it turned out to be one of the better tobaccos I've smoked. I rehydrated several pouches which appeared to be from the 80s. Whether due to being in pouch (versus tin) or a change in quality from the 70s to the 80s, the tobacco was somewhat less enjoyable though very tasty. Finally, someone gifted me a bag of "modern" Troost. It was unrecognizable and unpleasant to smoke in almost every dimension.

biggdonn

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
greeneyes- what may have happened is that P and C matched the modern Troost, because what they sent me was not only nothing like the old one, but was pretty bad in general.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Sutliff matched Troost Aromatic, not Special Cavendish. Those are two different blends.
Troost Slices are still made and sold, but you can only get them in a few countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.