PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
So I'm in sunny Buffalo NY for my daughter's cheerleading competition and I planned on stopping by Smokers Haven to pick up some blends I bought last year and loved. I met the owner Brian Kanitz, who is also a pipe carver. I hadn't intended on buying this pipe but it was hot off the workbench (he ahead finished it 20 min before I arrived) and just spoke to me. I love the Dublin shape, I'm getting more into bent pipes and I've never had a pipe with plateau on the rim of the bowl. Combine that with being incredibly light and perfect group 3 or 4 bowl size and I couldn't let it go. For $125 it was a bargain, no flaws or fills and I got to meet the guy who made it. Really great conversation. Can't wait to break this beauty in with some OGS tomorrow night at the lounge with the boys.
Oh ya also got a pretty decent order in from Smoking Pipes. 1lb of SG BBF, 10 tins of OGS, 2 tins of GLP Gaslight, 2 tins of Sutliff Barbados Plantation. It was a fun day!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Atta boy!
I was wondering how your day was going. That pipe looks like a cross between the Brigham Country Gent and one of the Nording Signatures. I like it. It should also colour up nicely.
Congrats pal.
Tell Ella to give 'em heck in the competition.
-- Pat

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Will do pal, she's chomping at the bit to perform. The pipe is similar to the Brigham but much smaller.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I would be very pleased to have a day like yours! Hope you have a memorable time with your daughter.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
What a beautiful pipe Brian, I really love that light finish. Is the mouth price kind of a "opposite " saddle bit? The way the sides go in almost like a saddle bit. Really nice! And what a haul from SPAIN. Nice!!
Enjoy brother, let us know how it smokes!

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Peck how does yours smoke? He has some really nice looking pipes for incredibly reasonable prices.
Chris I would describe it as a sideways saddle bit. The stem looks fantastic and is quite comfortable.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Proves that there are still some B&Ms operating in the traditional fashion. And being able to interact with the maker--it doesn't get any better. In addition to quality and quantity time with your daughter, you had a great day on all fronts.

BTW, what did you tell the customs man when you crossed back? :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
Peck how does yours smoke? He has some really nice looking pipes for incredibly reasonable prices.
The one I have smokes fine. It is perfectly drilled. The only issue I have with it is that the stem oxidizes incredibly quickly. Now, you may not have that problem, since mine may have been sitting open in his cabinet for some time. Still, I have polished mine up a few times, use obsidian oil, and it doesn't matter, it goes green in a heartbeat.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Haven't had a chance to break mine in yet, good to know it smokes well. I'll have to see about the stem and maybe order some obsidian oil next time.
Eric, haven't crossed the border yet I'm here for another night. I have some of the families who aren't smokers taking back some of my spoils for me.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Hey Brian,
Great haul. I agree with Pat that she resembles a Nording natural. Can't wait to hear how it smokes. Do you have an idea what baccy you might dedicate it to? Maybe SG BBF??? :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now that's the way to buy a pipe, and especially a handmade pipe. It's an experience you will remember

every time you smoke it, and you'll remember the cheerleading trip, the stop at the pipe shop, the

encounter with the pipe carver. That's a real experience, rather than just clicking off your credit card

online. Bravo! That's the real pipe smoker "thing."

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
Brian:

That's a nice looker. The tobacco haul is refreshing... if only we had friends and family going across the border with us all of the time!

If the pipe ends up to be a good keeper, at least it's only a short drive away to pick up another one! Enjoy...
Shutterbug

Status
Not open for further replies.