PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Several people in my "Nightcap" thread suggested that I might be sensitive to perique, so I sought out a few new blends to try. Here are my responses:
I tried Escudo, for a different perique blend. My gosh, that tastes GOOD! But, within less than a minute, I started getting that tingling sensation that fairly quickly transitioned into burning. Much less than Nightcap, but still uncomfortable. I fear that I definitely have a "thing" with perique. Dang.
I tried Dunhill 965 for a no-perique blend, hopefully similar to Nightcap. Hey! No bite, tasty, but not nearly as good as Nightcap OR Escudo. I like the smoky latakia, and it's surely a keeper, but I'm also going to look for something with more latakia so I can maybe get closer to Nightcap without the perique.
I tried Capstan Ready Rubbed, which I think is a pure Virginia. It's fine, but it doesn't really "do it" for me. Maybe it's my uncultured palate, but it didn't really stand out in any way. Also, while I didn't get the "bite" I seem to be getting from perique blends, it sure seemed to burn hot as crap! That suggests that my technique is not yet as good as I'd thought. I've heard Virginias are somewhat hot-burning if smoked incorrectly.
So, that's where I stand, now. I really love perique, but it doesn't seem to like me, and I really love latakia and will probably like it in even heavier proportions than in 965. I still need to work on technique, but I am getting better and, honestly, I still really like my aromatics, particularly Lane BCA.
That's my story.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
but I'm also going to look for something with more latakia so I can maybe get closer to Nightcap without the perique.
Hey Rob ... here's a few suggestions:
McClelland Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue

Charles Fairmorn Lancer's Slices

C&D Pirate Kake

C&D Da Vinci

C&D Star of the East Flake

Mac Baren HH Vintage Syrian
Also, don't forget that you can just order some straight Latakia! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
At least half your difficulty, I'd wager, are your techniques. You've said you're looking for your nicotine hit. That signals too fast, to me. It's there, it takes time. It's not cigs. Most problems arise with cadence once packing has been reasonably addressed. I say this from one year's experience as a full timer.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I wonder if something with a little dark fired Kentucky would be enjoyable to you- would give you a bit of spice but it's not perique. Three Nuns, MacBaren Old Dark Fired are s couple to try. It's not the same thing at all, but would give a bit of spicy interest.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
JKP, otherwise known as Pease Jack Knife Plug. Get you some of that plug and a sharp knife and a nice dry bowl and make a flake of that stuff and then cube cut it and smoke it. nuff said. :puffy:

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks, All.
I think I'll get some Pirate Kake, just because I like the name. I'll also check out some dark fired Kentucky blends.
And, as always, I'll keep refining my technique.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Well,
I ordered some Pirate Kake and some Old Dark Fired to try some new blends, some Frog Morton to try a milder English, some Spectre, just to try a cigar-leaf blend, and a couple of other things just because.
I'll ley y'all know how it goes!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might try a pouch of P&C Hearth and Home Mid-Town series Chestnut, a non-aro that can be bought in a tub, a match to the discontinued Walnut, six different tobaccos, a real surprise.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Pirate Kake will definitely test your latakia love. 70% in that one. Love it myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.