PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When possible, train travel still has elements of pleasure and dignity, perhaps because of its underutilization on many routes, though you can get stuck in an ill ventilated car with crying babies. I find it so much more calm and meditative than flying, though some years I feel like I lived on a plane. Overseas flights get pretty brutal as your joints and spine age. Likewise, highway travel, once bristling with the excitement of the open road, becomes somewhat less pleasing for seniors. I am pleased on those rare occasions when train travel actually offers a dining car and table service to go with the passing scenery. Back to the air, matches don't seem to be a problem, or haven't been. I always take just a small box or two to attract the least attention.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I travel for work quite a bit, four pipes in socks, tobacco in the small mason jars, pipe tool and non torch lighter of any brand. Never a problem. They just want to see the lighter lit and let me on through. Just put the lighter in a tub with your cell and run on the conveyor. If it’s in your carry on, they will search it which takes more time.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I've never smoked anything illegal, or even held it, and so I honestly wasn't sure how different the illegal stuff looked from ordinary tobacco. I took my pipe, planning on hitting a new tobacco store when I arrived at my destination, but I never had the time...it was just go go go...until I arrived back home tonight. While I was gone, my first tin of Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding was delivered, so I had a bowl tonight.
The Plum Pudding was very nice. I could taste the sweetness throughout the smoke better than in most tobacco blends. I've only tried 5 commercial blends so far; the rest of the ones I've tried are local B&M mixes. Tentative rankings (all are good; no losers here):

1. 1) Quiet Nights

2) Mississippi River

3) Plum Pudding

4) White Knight

5) Night Cap

Reactions: Scottmi

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Hmmm. The flavor of the Plum Pudding is sticking with me. I may move it up the rankings yet. We'll see how a few more bowls go.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
On my way to long weekend meet up with some pipe smoking friends. I made it through security without concern. Seven pipes, matches, lighter, 8 oz tobacco and various pipe tools and odor eliminator spry. Using my Neil Flancbaum satchel with an additional 2-pipe day bag.
HoJFQY8.jpg

T5Pbh3H.jpg

pmzMaTK.jpg

Note: the satchel holds 6 pipes in individual pockets. They are normally tucked in the pockets and not hanging out like shown for the picture.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
And I always travel with Snus for the plane. Never had an issue with TSA.

VH4VRMg.jpg

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I travel a LOT for work by air. I've never had a problem. I carry the tobacco in ziplocs or tins. Pipes in their socks I usually have a pipe nail and sometimes I bring a soft flame lighter or safety matches and of course pipe cleaners. It's all packed into a hardsided case and carried on. They've never even opened it, not even on international flights. They are DEA...they are their to prevent terrorism...many people in my state even fly through TSA with cannabis. TSA is trying to prevent terrorism and major crime...they aren't worried about small amount of personal tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.