PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I’m super excited to travel to the DR for my 15th wedding anniversary. Looking forward to relaxing and getting a good tan in the middle of December, because it’s not going to happen in Upstate NY.
I have a few questions for those of you who travel often, and if you’ve been to the DR recently even better. how much pipe tobacco can I take with me? Will I have to claim it when I come back if I did not purchase it there? And any tips for packing my pipes and supplies?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sorry I can't answer your questions, but I wanted to say Dominican Republic cigars are among the best. If you do cigars, enjoy them there and bring them home if duty free. I've liked some of those better than the Cubans I've tried.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I certainly plan to smoke a few while there! And depending on the duty I may bring some back too.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I can't speak to how much you can take, or bring back, but I would recommend taking what you would normally smoke and not declaring it really. Ideally you use it all up while you are down there right?
Congrats on the 15 year mark! I'm 5 years behind you.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
In your checked suitcase you should be good with whatever your pack. You can carry a lighter in your pocket, not your carry on. Don't put your tins in your carryon.. they may ask you to open them.
check out the TSA website just to be sure.. they change stuff up a lot! TSA.gov I think

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
Whenever I travel I always put everything in my checked bag and have never had an issue. However, I have had tins pop do to the altitude. It never bothered me because I planned on opening them anyway. Have a great trip and enjoy the sunshine

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have traveled there and can tell you that they do not care about tobacco as long as it is not a commercial amount. Meaning personal use does not matter. If you bring in 100 lbs of it for sale then they will ask you about it. Electronics, a large quantity of jewelry or several pricey luxury items, you can expect questions or have to pay import fees on them. If you have an American Passport they tend to leave you alone. Safe tanning!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I was able to bring back 2 boxes of cigars (Arturo Fuentes Hemingways and some Dr made Cohibas) without paying a dime. I got hit on the rum but it was still a steal compared to cost here. Watch out for the scam artists if you roam Santo Domingo but there are some great open venue rum and tobacco shops that serve decent food too. And do not do anything even remotely considered illegal. The police make a z look straight and it will cost you even if you are 100% in the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.