PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Cattle-car airliner to cross the Atlantic, or this?
The 21st century might be more efficient, but efficient doesn't always mean better.
(Whippersnappers: one day you will discover that the journey IS the destination.)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8425/7626018516_7ab885a426_o.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
george, it wasn't long ago you could sit exactly like that in an airplane. I would prefer the boat though, weeks of drinking and smoking instead of hours, always a good thing.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Great photo and I tend to agree with what you say.
I recently spent the best part of 23 hours on a plane from Australia to the UK. I can't help think that as a result of that period of discomfort I have spent the last week in bed with a severely painful back and leg. The doctor has given me so many drugs to cope with this that I feel like a dirty junkie. I don't see me being up and about anytime soon either.
Perhaps I am being harsh on the airlines but I feel I can confirm that the mode of transport demonstrated in that picture is a far better option. I won't say I was born in the wrong century but perhaps the wrong end of it.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Traveling by ship in 1912. The Smoking Lounge aboard the RMS Titanic:
th

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
Georged, I agree with you about the journey being the destination. Living in Britain, my parents have a house in Belgium and I was brought up, every year, travelling to the continent. Some of my best memories are of driving through the flat French countryside or the Swiss Alps. One year, perhaps after I've finished my degree, I'd like to take the Orient Express as far as it goes! *Dreamy Look* I love the journey...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
What a timely thread, reading a book called The Girl Who Came Home, 14 young Irish boys and girls leave to go to America and only one makes it, just started book, but their description of the ship is very interesting. The Titanic was not Holed but extreme cold weather made the wrought iron rivets brittle and when they scraped the iceberg they popped and water ran in between the plates. Ship was designed for 5 full compartments but it surpassed that. Only did one cruise, but my naval voyages with the U.S. navy was not as relaxed as the old gentleman in the picture. Fine picture.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
British Air, 1st Class against a week on a boat? Now, if it was the early 1900s that would be the only way to cross. Again, upper decks please. Even back then they put the smokers out of sight and out of mind. Years ahead of their time I suppose. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a fabulous picture, George!
Can anybody with sharper eyes make out his bottle of choice?
I love the drink flushed cheeks and air of repose. What a way to travel.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Can anybody with sharper eyes make out his bottle of choice?
Here is what I found
In this image an elderly passenger reclines on a deckchair with a pipe, a water decanter and a bottle of malt whiskey labelled: 'W. Lumsden & Co, Aberdeen'. The photograph was taken on an unknown passenger ship, and is part of the McKilliam family collection. The collection includes material from several McKilliam family members, but the majority of the collection relates to Captain Robert Basil Vincent McKilliam's working life as an apprentice, a mate, and then captain - much of which was with the Aberdeen White Star line.

Status
Not open for further replies.