PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Based on a "favorite" YouTube reviewer discussion on another thread, I started looking at the Midori (now Traveler's Company) Traveler's Notebook as an option for random journaling and capturing joke notes. The version I bought was the normal size, black leather starter set and ordered a ruled insert along with a card of expansion bands. I'm only a few days into the ownership, but really like the idea.
I use a Ruled insert to capture some random thoughts and/or life observations. No real "discipline" to the effort, just as the mood strikes me. I use a Blank page insert for more free-think joke notes and sketches for the purpose of reviewing later to formalize them into proper joke structure.
The system has a lot of different insert options by both Midori and other manufacturers (very popluar among the female user population) and can be used as Day Planners, Trip Planners, poetry, song writing or any other desired creative outlet.
Here is the YouTube link that was from a pipe tobacco reviewer that got me started: Stuff And Things Review: Midori Traveler's Notebook
Warning - the inner Walden or Thoreau may surface when watching this video. YMMV

May 4, 2015
I like the IDEA of them, but I know if I got one it would never get used. I've made several attempts to journal personally, tobacco notes, fountain pen ink cataloging... I always lose interest in it.
They always seemed a little expensive to me for just a square of leather with a couple holes punched in it with elastic bands. Nice, though.

bluegrasspipe

Jan 13, 2017
I enjoy his reviews, I hoped I would win one of those, but nope. IMHO the leather would look nice after years of use..

(Whatever you do, don't read the comments below this video, with a troll over commenting about the fact that he has tattoos, instead of watching the review and accepting it for what it is.. wow..)

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Last night were at dinner with friends and the woman told about her dad keeping a small journal his adult life.. they found out on certain days he had a TC at the bottom of the page, it meant "took a chance" and had sex with his wife.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I like the reviewer and his presentations. I watched another of his journal reviews the other day. I like that one better. All of them are too expensive, IMO. The japanese one appears to be made from bonded leather too, it doesn't look like top grain stuff.

I have a little leather journal that I made years ago and can't find it right now. I plan to buy a chunk of leather and make one similar to the reviewed ones. I think the cover needs to be a bit larger, and have a flap that closes the thing. I really like the idea of holding them in. Experimentation must ensue...

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I'm starting to live and die by my notebooks and sketchpads. I like this idea and haven't seen them before.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I've read so many books, that it seems that everything has been said before and every thought comes from previously consumed material. So writing down random notes seems pointless as I still suffer from ineffective thinking. We live in a world of gross consumerism and there are more products available each year like this to fill every need we can invent.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
I just journaled my PAD from this morning. LOL Dang.
Hobie1dog - I get your point; sometimes one wonders from the glut of FB spew whether any of us can track orginal from heard it somewhere. I look at it as a way to put a thought on the shelf even if I may have read it somewhere.
One I wrote that my Dad told me: "Experience is what you get right after you need it."

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I do wish I would have written down notes when sampling different blends along the way, like the one McBaren that won the prize for the worst tongue bite of the Century.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok after reading this post, and watching that video, I have done nothing but read reviews, watch videos, and look at pictures of those traveler notebooks. yeah I've decided that I do want a larger journal like that one, for doodling, and writing short stories.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Ok after reading this post, and watching that video, I have done nothing but read reviews, watch videos, and look at pictures of those traveler notebooks. yeah I've decided that I do want a larger journal like that one, for doodling, and writing short stories.
I love it when this happens, and I too would like to get one as classy as they look.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Now go to this site which carries them, and go down and read each one of the user pages with their pictures of how they use them
https://www.baum-kuchen.net/collections/travelers-notebook

May 4, 2015
There are oodles of hour-long YouTube videos of people showing how they set up their planners and travelers notebooks. It's a whole "community" not unlike pipe smoking in a lot of ways.

lifesizehobbit

Oct 23, 2015
Now go to this site which carries them, and go down and read each one of the user pages with their pictures of how they use them.
Also, don't forget to then debate and decide:

Fountain Pen? Nib size?

Mechanical Pencil? Diameter?

Micron Archive Pen? Diameter?
:lol:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Hobie, do you prefer the 'book style', where the cover just is a 'cover'? Or would you prefer the kind that the back cover is large enough to wrap over the front somewhat and tie shut, protecting the contents?

Status
Not open for further replies.