"Travel" smoking kit (Hiking, fishing, etc)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Do any of you guys have a little kit dedicated to use during outdoor pursuits? I watched a Gray Bailey video where he has a little kit, and I've thought of putting together something similar. He uses what appears to be a square tobacco tin (which are increasingly difficult to find). I'm wondering if anyone else has done something similar?
PS - If anyone has any square tobacco tins they don't want, I'll happily take a few. No specific requests regarding brand/blend.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Like a pipe tackle box. :D Nothing like that here. I'll load a couple of pipes and stick them in my pockets along with a tamper and lighter.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You may actually be able to convert a small tackle box to suit your needs. I've seen a few items repurposed for pipe smoking use.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Years ago, in the early 90s,I bought an L. L. Bean fanny pack. I never wore it. A few years ago I found it packed away and decided it would make a perfect to go pipe bag. It has plenty of room for all my tools, pipe cleaners, bags of tobacco and easily 4 pipes. I love it. It has been on car trips and airline trips with me. It has a small hole in the front zipper pouch and I recently found the same fanny pack on ebay for 14 bucks.

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
I’ve been using a small Dopp kit bag. Put in a leather pouch with my tobacco, lighter, Czech tool, and a couple of pipes. Plenty of room. Could probably take two different tobaccos if I had another pouch. So, I guess I’ll be getting that next, ha, ha.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
They make pipe cases/bags for reasonable money that are perfectly suited for this purpose. Why reinvent the wheel? As far as tobacco tins, I would think those large Solani tins would potentially work. To the OP, buy a tin of Solani Silver, smoke it and now you have the tool you're looking for.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
I use a zippered Costa Del Mar sunglasses case to hold a cob, bic, tamper, small baggie of baccy, and a few pipe cleaners.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I think I saw that same video, or at least something similar. I believe he uses an old altoids tin sized, hinged lid box to store a small pipe that he sanded the sides down on a bit to get it to fit, then tucked in some cleaners, a tamper and a couple different baggies of flakes, since they can be a little easier to store flat. It was a nice little kit, and something totally easy to make and store in places you might want to smoke, like in a car, maybe even in your actual tackle box, something like that. A good altoids tin would probably work really well, just need to find a pipe you can fit inside and have the door close.
Alternatively, you could always find one of those small, waterproof, clear cases that might be a little larger. Something you could tuck a cob inside.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
1. Pipe roll for general hiking and walking around. My favorite. And they look cool.

lsUVDhg.jpg

2. Fly fishing vest! It's perfect actually. Some guys (one in particular) wear a fly vest to the pipe shows.

MPC3lk2.jpg

3. These leather cases are always at TJ Maxx. But I agree with Hoosier that a Solani Silver tin would be cooler. These types of tins/cases are especially great with an Opera pipe because of the flat profile. That is one reason I love Opera pipes for outdoor smoking.

Q5JkIfY.jpg

ykSceh1.jpg

4. In the kayak, I use a small water proof bag for my pipes and tobacco.

Nov 21, 2016
I use a nice leather men’s shaving kit bag that always has the essentials.

I’m often on a job site or out on the boat for hours and wouldn’t dare be without.

3-5 pipes, two blends in pouches, tamper, pipe cleaners, backup lighter, wine corks cut in half

In case I need to store the pipe in mid-bowl.

Small pelican case for air travel and longer trips is solid and weather proof, for the most part.

Jan 8, 2013
I recently purchased this bison leather pipe roll from Northwest Gentlemen. You can purchase the little tins from the same site. I can pack three bowls worth of tobacco in the tin. I'm loving it.
yYwi64O.jpg

ehDHYRb.jpg

hyXlOzl.jpg

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
When I go fishing I take a falcon, two pre-packed bowls with windcaps on them, half a dozen pipe cleaners, lighter and tamper. The whole lot fits in a pipe glove, so a nice compact arrangement.

The only thing I do differently, is that I will just take a pipe that I enjoy smoking multiple times before resting, and I will put my tobacco in a square tin so that it fits in my pocket better. Then while hunting, fishing, or out gallivanting in the woods with my dog, I will smoke the same pipe repeatedly. When I am camping, I am usually with family, so I just pack my whole pipe bag with a few day's rotation of pipes, and my tobacco rotation. I use a leather and canvas camera bag that I have outfitted for my pipe needs. It makes it easy to just grab it and go. I usually carry it with me from the house to the studio or set it in my truck next to me when running errands. It looks rugged enough not to be confused for a purse, ha ha, but at this point in my life, I could care less what people think, as long as I have my pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.