PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I don't travel a lot, but a few times a year I am gone for anywhere from few days to up to 10 days. I'm looking for suggestions for an affordable way to pack 4 - 6 pipes.

My criteria:

1. it needs to be compact enough to fit within my computer bag

2. provide some protection for the pipes and hold them in place so they are not bumping around

3. help contain the smell

4. look good enough so that I wont get laughed into shame using it

5. affordable
Thank you in advance and I appreciate the suggestions.
jojoc

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Wish I hadn’t seen that Spartacus. I use a smallish leather Toiletry bag for about $40 jojoc

It holds 6 four oz jars, or 4 jars and 2 pipes + accessories. It’s 3” or less thick so it might fit in a computer bag.

I pack the pipes in thick velvet or leather socks for protection.
Only now I’m thinking about that bison roll bag dang it

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
IMHO, there is not an all encompassing system. You will end up needing different cases and bags for different events. I have lots of cases, from 2-pipe to 4-pipe and I also have a few different bags, from 4-pipe to 8-pipe. I use them all but for different reasons.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
1. it needs to be compact enough to fit within my computer bag

Now that is a requirement I understand well. In this specific instance, look for a compact 2-pipe hard shell case. Many people here know that I love the Castello Opera 44 pipes, but few know that one of the main reasons I love them is because the oval shaped stummel allows for very easy packing in hard shell cases that then fit perfectly in my briefcase and overnight travel bag.
Here is an example of my 2-pipe workhorse setup for daily use and overnight travel. This case is no longer available from Claudio Albieri, but similar style cases are available, for example: https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=286433 and for less money (but with the Rossi logo): https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe%20accessories/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=197242.

IK3xS4w.jpg

6DTPZq3.jpg

k1uy9Cz.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
These hard shell foam cases (marketed to the glass pipe crowd) hold 5-6 pipes and fits in carry-on briefcase (with laptop, etc.). I have all manner of other cases, up to a pricey Smokin Holsters case, but this one is my go-to for air travel. $20 or so on Ebay. I have a red and Pink one my wife loves to laugh at - but it is definitely not getting missplaced/forgotten at the TSA etc. The TSA never gives this second glance.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
img_20190523_072158714-600x449.jpg

img_20190523_072235112-600x449.jpg

img_20190523_072335582-600x449.jpg

I use a SCooSA - the Self Contained "oot the hoose" Smoking Attache. Two or Four pipe available in Black, Tan, or Cordavan leather. Gasketed, food safe, stainless steel tins hold 1oz of tobacco. Food safe, removable, flexible, UHMW PE cutting board for working plugs and flakes. Pipe rest. Accessory tray. Ashtray with cork knocker.

Reactions: Scottmi

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
and here's a large pack, those are both really big pipes too, One's a 7.5" Canadian, and the other is a Ser Jacobo maxima maxima

8QwZg6U.jpg

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I would quibble with NPod that the SCooSA is an "all encompassing system" - but having followed his posts here for a year and having met him while he was buying pipes at the Chicago show - I think I am stocking my travel case from a collection of pipes and tobaccos that is maybe 2-5% of his. So it's not really apples to apples.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
There is a large selection of pipe bags, but I think most of them are overpriced. So I use a simple bigger dressing case - my wife got is as a promotional gift for free by nivea - and it serves well for many years now. Not fancy, but I really don't care. I can put 5 pipes in it without any problem.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
@alexnc, just put any case into a thicker plastic bag, knot it and you have a smell proof bag. If I put it among clothes, this is my "trick".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are many beautiful leather (or other material like canvas) pouches that look fabulous and do the job. However. The more beautiful they are, they more they tempt theft. People might like your pipes, but what they are really after are the handguns they visualize inside that handsome leather case. For that reason, I choose a nylon toilet kit, that makes a thief think he'll only get my deodorant and dental floss. Also, I don't take the treasures of my rotation, though I dearly love the cobs and work horse briars I do take along. Your call. I want to be cagey in this context.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Thanks guys! This gives me some good ideas.

I have been tempted in the past with some of the leather pipe rolls - I really like the look, but I don't like the price, and I question really how functional it would be. Seems that they are a bit bulky once rolled up with a couple pipes in them.
npod - that is a nice setup. Really like the look of that bag and the hard case seems like a good fit for me needs.
ssjones - your case looks perfect for the longer trips. I'm not too worried about the pipe accessories, I just want a compact way to pack and protect my pipes in travel.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
These hard shell foam cases (marketed to the glass pipe crowd) hold 5-6 pipes and fits in carry-on briefcase (with laptop, etc.). I have all manner of other cases, up to a pricey Smokin Holsters case, but this one is my go-to for air travel. $20 or so on Ebay.
Al, those are great cases! Thanks for sharing. They are similar to what I was showing, but at $20, that is a great option for pipe case for briefcase. What is the name of those cases? Do you have a link?

ronthewineguy

Lurker
May 2, 2019
I found a leather (or leather-ish) Dopp kit in a luggage store for $15. Holds 3 pipes, all my tools and some tobacco. Stylish enough to carry anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.