PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I do not know a lot about switching from cigs to a pipe since I started with pipes and not cigs. My wife smokes cigarettes and has tried several times to switch to pipes or cigars without success. I know some of you out there have made the transition and I am hoping you can help with how you managed to do so? My personal feeling is that the addiction is to the additives more that the tobacco in cigs. That does not tell me anything about how to kick it or switch over. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
In my early fumblings when I barely knew what to do, I inhaled a few times and still do. I soon learnt that the nicotine kick would make me not want a cig for days but I would still want a bowl of tobacco in the pipe. I may be exaggerating, but still. Best thing is to get her to slowly cut down on tabs first and start to replace a few of the times she'd have a cig with a pipe and gradually it will be easier. Not to mention you could show her the reduced bills for pipe tobacco. Til she gets TAD anyway.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Good question Zuni.
Leaving aside the craving factor, I believe women have a more difficult journey than their male counterparts where quitting 'coughin' nails' is concerned (and picking up the pipe).

That being a social one.

We all here love women who smoke pipes. I'm not referring to the sexy thing, even though we all know it to be true. I'm talking about society at large... Women who smoke a pipe are perceived as just a little too far off the farm. The exception being we who are enlightened. If you catch my drift... Then again... we male pipe smokers,by default, left that farm a long time ago.

My advice: Support her in her on going challenge to quit smoking those nicotine delivery systems and encourage her journey into the wonderful world of pipe tobaccos and pipes, and give her a hug from all of us, and many more from you.
Ladies, am I off the mark here?

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
Lawrence, "We all here love women who smoke pipes. I'm not referring to the sexy thing, even though we all know it to be true. I'm talking about society at large... Women who smoke a pipe are perceived as just a little too far off the farm." That part of it is not a problem. She is very independent and not influenced by the masses. The rest of what you said sound great. Punkpiper, What you said about inhaling once in a while sounds great. I have been telling her not to inhale. She is addicted and it is very physical! She gets monster head aches and pains in the chest! One cig and they are gone!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think most of "us" who have made the transition, do inhale on occasion.

I usually do so on the "True Light" and maybe once more later on.

I think that maybe due to kinesthetic memory, more so than the need for nicotine.

Of course that was not the case when I was in transition.

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Good-Bye_Cigarettes,_Hello_Pipe!

this is a link i just found and i am in the battle to lay the ciggys down

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I do have about 14oz of PA and around 5 pounds of Haddo's LOL. My wife though likes aromatics. Maybe for kicking the cigs she could try the others for a while.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If she likes aromatics I'd definitely pick up a tin of Connoisseur's Choice by Peterson. It's my favourtie aromatic. Also though, she might like to try some blends that have higher nicotine content. I've heard University Flake by Peterson has a little more vitamin-N than most blends and it has a light plum casing. Might be a good transitioning blend for her since it has the higher nicotine levels and a bit of a flavoring to it as well.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I smoked cigarettes for over 35 years before I made the switch to the pipe.Took me about a year to make the switch,but that was mainly due to the fact that I was still working. Cigarettes made it easier to grab a quick smoke at work,after work I smoked only the pipe. Once I retired the cigarettes went into the s+++ can.The only cigarettes I smoke now are the occasional one I roll from PA.I am still a nicotine addict but not nearly as much as when I smoked cigarettes. I can go with out a smoke for much longer now. I think maybe your wife should try weaning herself off the cigarettes slowly while getting used to the pipe and the reduced nicotine and additives and inhaling less. If she can find the right tobacco(s) and learn not to burn up her mouth she'll do fine,just may take a while.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
1776 Old Dominion - in the description says this is a great transitional blend from cigarettes to a pipe. I guess because it has a bit of charcoal taste. However, I find that this is an excellent blend and whether it helps people get off cigs is a moot point.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
first off you need to ask yourself: "who do i believe and trust, them or me?"

personally, have smoked cigarettes for 50 years. a pipe off and on for the same time period. rarely ever finishing a pack of pipe tobacco and wound up being thrown out after sitting around for a year or so. my pipe didnt even have a chance to get anywhere near warm before i had a cigarette smoked down to the filter. when i smoke cigs, always to the filter, every drag deeply inhaled. would make john wayne proud. minimum of two packs a day. one and a half at best. nuf said, you get the point.
i remember when the government first required the tobacco companies to put warning on their labels and local gov. started emforcing the no sale to minors. miners were excluded, after all, what difference did it make?
that said, millions if not billions of dollars were and still spent on telling us the dangers of cigarette smoking and the impossiblities and likely hood that even with their help and products to quit smoking, our chances of quitting were slim to none.
with all the advertising money spent on pshchologist and such, their products are in for greater demand from the off the shelf to perscription. funny when you think of it, nicotine in patches and gum. fight fire with fire???

you can fool all the people some of the time, some of the people all the time, but, you cant fool all of the people all of the time.
my personal experience to quit smoking; i'd rather fight than quit and i'm just not going to do it, and the most importantly, i dont want to! but i could forgive my doctor for telling me i needed to.
the way i quit dumbfounded me. now, so help me God, the honest truth is that i woke up one morning and never had another cigarette since. the day before that and as always i just DID NOT want to quit, not then or now. same thing has happened before with sore bloody finger nail biteing.
so i ask you again; who do you trust, you or them?

you can do this and the 'switch to' WILL be a breeze.

there is no "i'm trying to" "i can't" "i'm never lucky enough to". infact, i'm not even going to wish you luck. all this is irrelevant.
so i ask you again; who are you going to beleive?
greetings and salutations

taoist

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
In my experience it's the rewiring of inhale satisfaction to pipe smoking methodology; in other words, if she doesn't know what to look for in pipe enjoyment and blows her mouth away in the meantime by not knowing about sipping, cake, moisture and all that then it will take about five minutes before the pipe gets thrown away.
So I figure a little education, a good blend and a VERY well broken in pipe would help avoid all that; you also might mention that there will be some discomfort in the beginning no mater what and just "bite the bullet" for a little while (rite of passage); salt water rinses, drinking tea, miso soup and nasal rinses are all good allies (called "neti" in Hatha Yoga).
Might read a little about Cherokee Indian medicine regarding tobacco's role in prayer while learning the art......anything to capture the imagination....not that the Cherokee teaching is purely imaginary or anything like that.

taoist

Lurker
Jun 23, 2011
Another bit of advice is just accept the fact you will jump back and forth....it's "normal"...just keep the original intent no matter what.
BTW my great grandmother smoked a pipe and lived to be 103....found out five years ago she was a full blood Cherokee......never knew it.....people didn't talk about marrying non white woman back in those days and my family buried it in the vault.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
What helped me was stopping cigarettes cold turkey for a month, then gradually re-introducing a pipe. Keep reminding her that flavor is better. And look into a smaller 'cafe' size pipe--think Dunhill group 1--as they can be great for shorter smokes and alleviate the psychological crutch of a smoke break (as opposed to the 45 minutes or more commitment of a group 4). Check out the GBD ladybird thread from fullbent.

Status
Not open for further replies.