PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That is the accepted practice here in the US
Accepted by who? On 2 or 3 separate occasions, I've had problems with product shipped to me from Internet Retailers. After contacting them, they promptly sent me out a replacement that included a shipping label to return the defective product. In my world, the person that buys is the "Customer". Why would the Customer always be responsible if they don't receive the product they paid for? The Customer already fulfilled their side of the "trust deal" by paying upfront.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
This is a ton of agita over $50.

But really, what is your time and psychic energy worth? And is this how you want to spend those precious commodities?
+1
Also, this is why I won't buy or sell bulk (owner jarred) tobacco. How do you know exactly what was jarred? And, if you sell jarred tobacco, there is no recourse if someone calls bullshit (even if you put the correct tobacco in the jar).
Good luck!

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I would not ask for the tobacco to be sent back. It is unfit for resale and worthless to anyone but the gentleman in Malaysia who can smoke it if he desires. Paying the freight for that open tobacco would be throwing good money after bad. I understand the reasoning behind it but I would never go that route.
I have no problem with the person in question but five months is too long to wait. I don't question his integrity or assume he would do anything underhanded. I just think he chose to contact the seller after an unacceptable period of time; one should check their purchase upon arrival and report any issues within a reasonably prompt period such as thirty days.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Big difference between a retailer doing an ongoing business and an individual. I don't read having the goods back in hand as being against the fellow.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
^^^^^^^

I agree. Given this transaction was conducted on Facebook to start with, not sure why it was ever brought here anyway. Especially over $50.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have read this thread with interest and many valid suggestions.
I look at everything like this situation from an aggravation point of view. If I have to spend to much time thinking about what I am going to do, like requesting the tobacco, waiting for it's return, issuing a full or partial refund, etc. it is not worth it to me personally and I would give the refund, let him keep the tobacco and just call it a day. But that's me. Life is way to short for me to stress over something like this.

jamban

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hello all, i just came across this thread and i believe i am the Malaysian that is being spoken of. I haven't had time to read all the responses yet, but i feel i need to tell my side of the story.
It took me a long time to receive all the tobacco i bought from the US this past year for various reasons. Finally, i shipped back a number of boxes back about a month or so ago.
On my birthday, i decided to treat myself with a special tobacco. I chose the 2002 McClelland #27. (If i didn't, this jar would probably have stayed unopened for years to come. It was afterall jarred for 16 years thus far.) Immediately, i was met with a whiff of latakia. Not wanting to believe my nose, i convinced myself that maybe it was contaminated by other tobaccos in the box. Silly me, but i did not want to believe the reality otherwise. I packed it into a nice pipe and lit it up. Latakia once again. I even went on Tobacco Reviews to read if somehow #27 had latakia in it. I know, in denial. I even researched all the others, #22, #24, #25, to see if somehow they had latakia or produced a latakia aroma, and the OP accidentally labeled the jar wrongly. As you can tell, i really didn't want to believe i had been duped by a fellow pipesmoker.
Alas, i put the pipe down, birthday smoke ruined. It was not a nice feeling. Since then i have not picked up the pipe often, and that latakia blend that has ghosted a good virginia pipe of mine still sits in that bowl. I can't bring myself to deal with it.
I didn't bring up this small drama with anyone, not even with the OP. I just told him what he needed to know, not how it affected me since that birthday smoke gone wrong.
I could have outed him on the FB group for selling me at a premium a latakia blend in a jar labeled as 2002 McClelland #27. But instead, i gave him the benefit of the doubt and sent him a private message.
Now, if you were in my position, wouldn't you want your money back before you sent this '2002 McClelland #27' back to the person who sold it to you? I paid up front, with full trust, only to receive this. So i feel i should be refunded first as i don't know if i can trust this person again.
For those who raised suspicions that my cousin could've done a little switch-a-roo, my cousin knows zero about pipe tobacco. Otherwise, we would all maybe have known about this mystery latakia blend much sooner. All the other jarred tobacco that was shipped back to me was fine. I bought a number of loose and jarred tobacco from various members here and on the FB groups.
I have been buying all sorts of things since the 90s from people all around the world. My Ebay track record is immaculate. My own integrity, i have always held to a higher standard. I would rather lose out in any deal than to give less to a fellow human being. So no, i would never try to cheat someone. Of course, if you don't know me, you'd have to take my word for it. But i have dealt with a few people here. Even those who showed me kindness by giving me samples, i tried my best to show them my gratitude and appreciation with gifts i ship from Malaysia.
Will read all the messages here another day and reply if necessary. For those who read this far, thank you for your time and patience.
Have a good day all of you and a truly nice week ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.