PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
It's been a long, arduous shift. I'm beat, but happy that the day is done. I hop in my truck, light up a bowl of ODF and head home.
And then it happens. Blue lights flashing in the rearview. Apparently I was going a hair too quick for Smokey to let me go. He saunters up to the cab. License, registration, "Sorry sir, wasn't watching my speed."
Then he sees the pipe in the console. Now, this could go two ways. Mr Trooper could just write the damn speeding ticket and go on his merry way. Hopefully Mr Trooper has the brains God gave a mouse and realizes that while the mini corncob pipes are often used for pot, the full sized models are for tobacco.
Or, he could ask you to step outside, search you, confiscate your Buck knife for the duration of the stop, tear the damn truck apart and not find any drugs in the course of his futile attempt at search and seize, then cite you for a measly 3 over.
He chooses the latter. Fantastic.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
boss, I'm sure he "smelled" pot or saw "paraphernalia." Or maybe the cob was taking a "fighting stance." Doesn't matter these days. Sorry this happened to you, cuchulain.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
boss, huh?
EDIT: OK, I see you edited your post. Um, yeah -- I'm with ya all the way. I'm just pointing out that facts and laws don't matter so much in practice these days. Cops murder people, as I'm sure you know, and get away with it ("fighting stance," "officer safety"). I'm not advocating surrender or submission, just pointing out that Mr. Blue Light Special won't lose his badge for going medieval on a bowl of Carter Hall.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
The cop wasn't within his rights at all. Being an English Law legal opinion, I can't say too much, but give this a quick glance. I can't really be doing with the police, especially ones who exceed their duty. Take him to book. I hope you got his number or whatever identification your lot carry.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if you had not been over the speed limit none of this would have happened.. :)
did you display any 'attitude' with the officer?
was this a local small town type cop?

In Alabama, if you deny the search, they hold you there till they get a judge to give the ok over the radio and then conduct the search with a boot on your throat. Believe me, I've had this happen. And, you see it on the side of the road every day. And, when they do the search, they will even disassemble your seats and remove anything they can. Sure, you can deny the search, and they can also make your life miserable. Best just to let them do their quicky search with a smile. Besides, if you have nothing to hide, then you'll just let the police do what they want, is their mentality. Probable cause here can just be a "look" you may have.

Welcome to Alabama, the jack booted thug state.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I don't want to ruffle feathers but most cops are good people putting their lives on the line for not many bucks. Does this mean my eyes are closed NO, In our Parish, we don't have County's we have a crooked Sherriff and I am one of the few who opposes him. There's good and bad in all disciplines , I"m sorry you were stopped but you were speeding. I"m glad for you it turned out Good.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Did he see you smoking the pipe ? If so at your age that is why he pulled you over .The el-lamo ticket is because he couldn't bust you on a drug charge and he felt ,well probably is stupid . I see drivers education and a wasted Saturday in your future and a dismissed ticket afterwards .

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
The officer's behavior was inexcusable. Our liberties are quickly eroding and, unfortunately, too few people are in tune enough to make a difference.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
I don't mean to come down on the cop here. He obviously felt he had probable cause, and thankfully it only takes about ten minutes to search and old single cab truck. It was just a major pain in the ass at the end of a long day.
I didn't give an attitude, as I realize he was just doing his job. But a young 20-something year old with a pipe was apparently out of the ordinary enough to set off some alarm bells.

Aug 14, 2012
Sure glad I do not drive anymore. Just gives those fascists another excuse. These things happen because we, as a country, don't do anything about it. There will always be power crazy assholes.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Sucks, that's all there is too it. If you can afford the time and constitutional lawyer, have at but chances are your a regular schmuck like most of us.
I'm a plumber, a pipe smoker and I'm licensed to conceal weapons. Imagine what they think when I get pulled over!? I certainly respect LEO's and know they have a job to do but lately it's apparent that common sense is being leeched out of them at the academy.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a bit of a lead foot and also like fast cars. That is a dangerous combination. I have got about 7 speeding tickets in the 3 years year, but I fought every one of them in court, and so far I have won every time (in 5 of those the officer never showed up to the trial). It is a bit of a hobby for me (along with pipes). Around here they always set up the speed traps where there is abrupt change of speed limit - and they roll in the bucks. Most folks just pay them. I don't. My approach is if it is $150 ticket then I want to cost them at least $5,000 to collect that from me. I go whole hog on the discovery process. I request copies of the officer's notes, information about the calibration that was done to the radar in question. I make it my hobby to be their worst nightmare. They don't have the manpower for this (at least where I live) - there are too many folks who just pay the ticket. In two cases they postponed my trial three times and I successfully brought a challenge under our Canadian Chart of Rights for unreasonable delay. Don't capitulate; fight.
A few months ago I bought a high end radar detector which are illegal to have in the car up here, and it works like a charm. If I ever get stopped I will put it in my pocket. Even if they suspect I have one I won't consent to a search. Let them get a warrant, is my view.

Dec 24, 2012
Congratulations on costing the taxpayers (e.g. You) five thousand dollars. That'll show them!
That's like saying you shouldn't claim deductions in computing your income tax because it just costs taxpayers money!

rockford

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 4, 2013
I suppose you could make that leap... In my opinion if I am caught speeding I knew I was doing so and that it is against the law. I would rather see the courts and police spend their energies addressing bigger issues so I begrudgingly pay the fine.

On a positive note, since I switched to pipe smoking I have not received any tickets! (Used to be at least 3 per year,mostly photo radar right after a limit change as Peck described)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Peck: I'mdisturbed by the fact that you seem to be saying you actually were speeding 7 times, but you'll did everything in your power to not take responsibility for that.
If you weren't speeding, that's one thing. But if you were: Why not pay the penalty? You knew what you were doing, and you knew the consequences. Here in the States, though, you likely wouldn't even have a license after the third ticket in three years.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.