PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I'm not a fan of the whole "sovereign citizen" way of thinking (which is how this thread strikes me), so to keep myself from wandering away from the site over some ramblings in one thread, I'm just not going to read the rest of the thread. As a former LE Officer, I also am not a fan of police bashing.
Hmm...let's see what cool pipe pics I can find, instead...8)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
All I am saying is there is good and bad and I have been on both sides of the fence. Kudos to the good ones.
That about sums it all up as far as I’m concerned. To blatantly assume that all police are dishonest is absurd and totally ignorant. That is akin to saying that all priests are pedophiles and that all politicians are morons.
Well... let’s forget about my politician example as that was an extremely poor comparison and doesn’t make the cut by any stretch of the imagination! :wink:

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I got pulled over myself by a TN Trooper the other day. I was smoking a big ole Nording when he approached the truck, and I had my .357 mag sittin right next to me! He never questioned the gun or the pipe, but still wrote me a big fat ticket for out of date tags and no up to date insurance card, lol!

Even after I threw out my cousins name (who is also a Trooper and his superior at that)!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
@trailboss
I have a full concealed carry in NYC, and one of my business associates mentioned that there is a new range in NJ that is quite beautiful and elegant and suggested that we go shooting there. He is a NRA instructor, and I mentioned that NJ laws are quite draconian.
He claimed that if I travel to NJ, all I have to do is keep it unloaded in a locked box and everything will be fine.
Now, I'm not so sure.
Maybe its not worth it.

It's odd that when its mentioned that there are bad cops out there, that someone assumes that that we are jabbing at all cops. I think I had stated that there are cops in the family, :::cough cough::: my brother and uncle, and my girlfriend has two brothers that are police officers. But, anyways... unless you are small hick town Alabama cops, I don't think I said anything about either of the law enforcement officers on this thread. Its a tough job. I would want to do it.
But, when someone in a regular job goes bad, lets say an ego driven bully of a grocery store clerk. I can stand up to him. I would have no fear in going to his boss, or defending myself if he came at me. However, when a cop has these same character flaws... well, a whole community has to suffer. We can't just stand up to a cop. Well, I guess trailboss can, lol. I'd prefer to just suffer the abuse of power and get back to my day.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Well, Cosmic just hit the nail directly on the head!
And unfortunately, the good cops usually tolerate the others. When I was still body building I trained at the same gym the local police use. Even if only one was acting up, the other three or four weren't making any attempt to correct the behavior. The same cop would tell stories daily of roughing up the homeless and purposely prolonging medical attention for the recently arrested and none of the other cops, who mind you WERE nice guys, ever chastised him.
That leads to cosmics point. A complaint against the checkout boy at the store counter will lead to discipline, more than one will lead to a firing. Cops tend to circle the wagons and dig in their heels when complaints flow in...

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
WOW!
Quite the interesting thread.
This has struck a chord with me big time.
My two cents FWIW?
Police Officers are doing one hell of a job!
Never give permission for a search, anything could be in your vehicle without your knowledge.
Getting caught speeding, when you know you were speeding and then fighting it in hopes it will be tossed, is a shamefull waste of tax payers money! No ifs and or buts. Buying a radar to get warning if traps while illegal, is far better then wasting tax $. Speed limits are posted because those rates are deemed safe for that stretch of highway. Need to get there earlier, then leave earlier.
Seriously folks, both our countries are going to hell in a hand basket over wastes like this. Let's leave the officers and the courts to more important things. Suck it up and admit you were wrong for whatever you did. Our governments, our law courts, our Heath care and everything would start to run a whole lot more effeciently.
End of Rant :nana:

Dec 24, 2012
Getting caught speeding, when you know you were speeding and then fighting it in hopes it will be tossed, is a shamefull waste of tax payers money! No ifs and or buts.
Complete nonsense. The waste of taxpayers money is paying for these revenue generating speed traps to begin with. If everyone fought them, they would soon grind to a halt. They expect that people will just pay their "tax" ticket and move on. Exercise your rights - fight back.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great pics Six...they paint a thousand words. The militarization of the police is the system’s end-run around Posse Comitatus.

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, one other tip. This applies in Canada but I suspect that it is equally applicable in most US states. If you are thinking about just pleading guilty and paying the fine (I can't even fathom this, but to each his own), you should change your auto insurance company immediately before you do. The government reports speeding fines to the insurance companies, but they do this based on the last information they have as to the identity of your insurance company, and you provide this information to the government when you renew your plates (every year or two years, depending on the circumstances). By changing your insurance company before you assessed the fine, the Government will send the information about your conviction to your old insurance company not your new one. As a result, the new company will never know and your record will remain clean.
Also, if you are going to fight your ticket, you should file a motion for discovery. I typically request the following information:
· both sides of the officer's copy of the ticket

· the make, model, and serial number of the radar unit, and its owner's manual

· the officer's training record specific to the said radar unit

· the calibration record and repair history of the said radar unit

· the records of any calibration equipment such as tuning forks

· the officer's log on the alleged offence day, including all tickets he had written on that day, and a copy of any other notes of the officer on that day.
So far, I have been largely ignored on these requests, which makes it pretty easy to quash the ticket.
Remember, you are innocent until proven guilty, and if they can't discharge their burden of proving you guilty, then you were never guilty of speeding in the first place.
What a great thread. There is nothing I like more than a good adversarial contest - really gets me excited.

Dec 24, 2012
Take the same responsibility for your actions that you demand from the police.
rsuninv - Have you ever exceeded the speed limit? I am not asking if you have ever been caught, but rather I am asking how many times you have been guilty of the offence? Keep in mind that 1 mile over the limit and you are still guilty of speeding.
Now, if you believe one should take "responsibility" for their conduct, then surely this should not be confined only to circumstances where you are caught. That's like a burglar saying that he is not doing anything wrong unless he gets caught.
So I am assuming, then, that as an honest man who wants to take "responsibility" for his misdeeds, that every time you exceed the speed limit, you immediately head to the nearest police station and advise them of what you did, right?
'Nuff said.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Peck, seriously, just how fast we're you going for these tickets. I don't see any member writing a ticket for anything under the "tolerance".

you are not going to get nailed for 8-10% over the posted limit.

Please slow down, stop getting tickets and fighting them and wasting my tobacco taxes on needless court run arounds.
Love to see your income tax returns and what you claim as expenses. :rofl:
Sheesh...

Dec 24, 2012
Hey Salmon - I am a tax lawyer so I am pretty adept at figuring out what deductions I can legally justify, lol. As for speeding, I drive a fair bit, and I always get nailed where there are abrupt changes in speed, because that's where they set them up to collect the most revenue. The last time I was caught I had to wait in line to get my ticket - that's how many people they nailed.
In any event, I acknowledge that we may have different views on the subject of due process and rights. My view is probably somewhat skewed by the fact that I spend my days working to figure out how to kneed, massage and interpret the law to get a better result for my clients - that is what they pay me for, after all.
I also did find it a bit amusing how upset some posters were about painting all members of the police with a broad and stereotypical brush. Lawyers have suffered from that for years, but I guess most of us have a fairly thick skin. Perhaps lawyers are much like police officers in that nobody likes them - that is, unless they need one.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
most of us have a fairly thick skin
Time for another humorous interjection in this thread. 8O

About 15 years ago I was in Glacier National Park doing a whitewater trip on the Flathead River.

Next to our raft was another launching ahead of us. Our guide pointed out that they were ALL lawyers.

Well, my buddy John hollers over at them and says "What do you call a boat full of lawyers at the bottom

of the Flathead River"? Without skipping a beat, they ALL yelled back, "A good start"!!
We ended up in the lodge with them after the trip and had a great night laughing and drinking.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Gee....I wonder why lawyers get a bum rap, when fine lawyers such as yourself are always looking out for the "innocent" :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.