PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Two spaces here also. I resent any and all change to language and composition. I realize both are something which constantly morph but, certain stuff just shouldn't be morphing all the time. I need something constant in my life.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I can type very well. I learned in middle school, at a US Army school. For some reason, they had a 7th grade typing class. I picked it up very quickly and spent a lot of time practicing (yeah, I must have been a nerd). Hunting and pecking, drives me nuts.
My practice got me in some deep shit with my father when we were still stationed in Germany (Landsthul). We lived in an apartment building on post. The dumpsters were at the opposite end of our four-stairwell building. In the winter, me and some other kids in our stairwell always complained about taking the trash all the way to the end of the building. We found a crawlspace with a door access and started putting all of the trash in there. Of course in the Spring, it didn't smell too well and the parents investigated. When they started pulling trash bags out, the first thing my father saw was my typing papers. He got a deuce and a half to remove all the trash and after that was clear, we had stair-well cleaning duty for six months.
When I got into High School typing class, I tested out at 90-couple wmp, so the first year class was only an excuse to goof off and cause trouble in the class. I'd get my hour long assignment done in 15 minutes, then torment our bad excuse for a teacher. I should have paid closer attention, to formatting, etc.
My first cell phone was a Blackberry and I could type pretty quickly on that tactile keyboard. When we finally ditched them and went to Androids, I wanted to scream. I learned to Syrve type pretty quickly, which keeps me from flinging the phone across the room.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yeah. I thought that this thread was about the elusive barrister & forum member, Peck

Disappointed.
I'm surprised that only one respondent, Captian Black Mustache, dick-tate's, but that's fitting for the master of the Black Frigate :mrgreen:

Jan 8, 2013
I touch type. I took a class in middle school, maybe first year of high school (can't remember which) and then never touched a keyboard again until I think my early thirties. It was just like riding a bike.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
I learned how to type because of absolute dubious reasons. It was the end of my Sophomore year, my girlfriend and I were picking out elective classes for the next year when she suggested I take typing with her.
I was sold. Any excuse to have a class with that little blonde was good enough for me. :twisted:
The next year when class started, I took to typing like a duck to water. Subsequently I had the highest scores in the class.
It's been an invaluable tool and has paid dividends in spades over the years.
Funny enough, while in the Navy I actually got to where I was typing somewhere around 100 wpm. Sometimes it was a blessing, other times it got me pulled into the LT's office typing his reports. I guess it coulda been worse, I could have been an excellent potato peeler. :P

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I never took a typing class, but, like Darwin, I used a manual typewriter to learn the method I use now. Not real touch; it's sort of a combo.

Mar 1, 2014
I can sort of touch type in three or four different layouts.

My primary keyboard layout is a custom variant of Dvorak with some letters and symbols switched around for modern grammar styles (or at least my own personal style, I used some free heat mapping software to analyze my forum posts and identify which keys should be given priority). That'll do about 80 Words Per Minute on average, nothing special, but I find it's less fatiguing than Dvorak, and much less compared to Qwerty (Having "E" "S" "T" and "R" on the same hand is complete nonsense, and putting "L" on your pinky is a sin that both Qwerty and Dvorak share).

Second, I can get by in regular Dvorak, but probably half speed.

After that my typing shifts depending on what device I'm using, on my 8" tablet I can almost type with Qwerty one handed, and I just got a new 9.7" tablet and the keyboard is bigger so I'm almost shifting back ot regular two hand, it's a bit of a muddled mess right now with the home row shifting constantly, but my fingers are adapting surprisingly quick.
I know people who type 120 Words Per Minute one handed on a full size keyboard so my typing is still pretty tame compared to some of the examples you can find out there.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I use about two fingers on each hand and the thumbs, and I have to look at what I am doing. I never learned to type at school, I vaguely remember being in the class though.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I still use mostly my index fingers, but in general I'm touch-type. Like most children of my generation we grew up on the computer, but never had a proper typing class. It still leaves me not the fastest typer, but it's fast enough for me and my needs. Plus, even at 25, I'm a little late to change my ways and re-learn it.
That said, I will NEVER be able to learn another keyboard. I've been trying for a while to learn the Finnish keyboard (as I'm trying to learn the language) but it ends up I just switch back to the English keyboard after I've used the needed letters (ö,ä and sometimes å).

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
touch type. Leaned on old manual typewriters in high school and halfway through the semester tested out at 45 words per minute. Didn't do much typing for the next 2 years because we didn't need a typewriter in the engine room but started typing again when I became a photojournalist. Speed jumped up to 60 words a minute or better when we switched to electric typewriters. My supervisors didn't care much for typing test or how fast because the reality is that it's just not that important unless you are on a critical deadline.
In the 80s we switched to computers and if tested now I would probably be up near 100 words per minute. The only time I feel I get slower is when I have to change keyboards because I found each keyboard has a different feel and sound to it. (Hey! I still missed the nostalgic sound of a mechanical typewriter.}

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's all about spacing. What looks better?
Screw the newbies telling us not to use two spaces. It looks stupid not to have the extra space. They can shove their new rules up their...
Screw the newbies telling us not to use two spaces. It looks stupid not to have the extra space. They can shove their new rules up their...
Well, I don't know how to put two spaces in as it gets changed to one as I post. So the second one has three spaces as I type, we'll see how many on posting..

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
On the internet, I type with one finger exclusively...
And as a heterosexual not metrosexual, I do not use any Apple products.
But, this voice activated thing sounds good, at least until we get a brain-computer interface, at which point Windows will accidentally over-write your childhood memories with a video about AIDS in Africa as affected by climate change.
On a phone, everyone is hunt and peck. The thing's too small to touch type.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And as a heterosexual not metrosexual, I do not use any Apple products.
Interesting! When you are in the metrosexual mode, you do?
BTW, Apple products do not appeal to Neanderthals, not that there's anything wrong with that! Or that I am calling anyone that. Only those that bash Apple out of the blue.....
:)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It seems to me that those who must bash something, Peterson, Lakeland, aros, Fords, Apple, etc. are simply unsure of their own choices. So they try to reassure themselves, justify themselves in their own mind, by ever being derogatory about choices of others. Rather than extol the positives about their choice they take the easier route.
Apropos of the OP, I touch typed this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.