PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
San Francisco Adopts Total Flavor Ban

NATO Endorses Campaign to Repeal San Francisco’s Ordinance
This past week, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to ban the sale of all flavored tobacco products, including menthol cigarettes, menthol, mint and wintergreen tobacco products, and flavored e-cigarette/vapor products. The ordinance was amended to go into effect in April, 2018, rather than on January 1, 2018. The ban affects every kind of retailer that is licensed to sell tobacco products in San Francisco. A significant industry-wide effort, including important advocacy contributions by NATO, was taken to oppose this total flavor ban ordinance.

With the passage of the San Francisco flavor ban ordinance, a new coalition called “Let’s Be Real San Francisco” has been formed to launch an effort to gather signatures from San Francisco voters to require the city’s Board of Supervisors to place a referendum question on an election ballot next year. If a sufficient number of signatures are obtained, the voters of San Francisco will have the final say on whether the flavor ban ordinance actually goes into effect.

The “Let’s Be Real San Francisco” coalition is comprised of concerned residents, business leaders, retailers, and trade associations, including NATO. To secure the needed number of signatures for a referendum question to be placed on the ballot is a significant task, but one that needs to be taken to protect the right of retailers to sell lawful products and the right of legal age adults to purchase legal tobacco products. NATO stands with the industry in this effort to give the voters of San Francisco a voice in whether this flavor ban ordinance becomes law.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
So I guess this applies to aromatic pipe tobacco too? The article I read on the SacBee wasn't super specific but I think the point is clear: more of the nanny state dictating every choice out of our lives.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
A very worrying turn of events.

Hope this time the UK does not follow the USA.

All the things in the World that people could focus on, and make better, but no it's got to be tobacco!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I thought this was a troll. NATO? But apparently:
http://www.cspdailynews.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/action-starts-san-francisco-s-total-flavor-ban

Mar 30, 2014
wv
I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and all your demons.
I'll be the one to protect you from a will to survive and a voice of reason.
I'll be the one to protect you from your enemies and your choices son.
One and the same I must isolate you. Isolate and save you from yourself.
~James Maynard Keenan

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You have had all that money can give you, but that wasn't enough. You became a thrill-seeker. Kill for the thrill. This thrill-seeking became the one great thing in your life, planning one thrill on another until the murder. Kill

for the love of killing. Kill for the thrill. The thrill-seeker comes from all walks of life. He comes from the

home, a home where the parents are too busy to treat their children with respect.

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
You can walk out your front door in SF and buy 30 types of weed in under 2 minutes. You can get free syringes from the city to shoot heroin in the park. If you want a menthol cigarette, bergamot nasal snuff or vanilla pipe tobacco you're SOL.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
roddypiper: I always have to ask, "Syringes? Weed? How do they enter into a discussion about flavored tobacco products?"
I suspect the banning of heavily cased or flavored tobaccos will be seen as a victory for a portion of our membership. :puffy:

roddypiper

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2017
Maybe you're not familiar with California politics. The people in favor of morality regulation of tobacco are the same people that advocate for the legalization of drugs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some are I'm sure. Others are not. Most of the libertarian leaning Californians I know do not favor restricting tobaccos while favoring legalization of drugs. They simply favor fewer laws and less government intrusion. So, those few acquaintances of mine do not fit neatly into your wide ranging assertion.
I am not acquainted with anyone who bases their view of tobacco usage on morality. Some base it on scientific conclusions. others wish it gone from an economic standpoint, a waste of monies. Still others simply do not like the stench. I'm sure there are some and would find it fascinating to hold discourse with one or two of them with regards to the "morality" of smoking. My presumption is such a discussion would involve religious beliefs so that discussion could,should not take place here of course.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The problem is health insurance. Once we're paying for the treatment of others, we have the right to restrict them in eating fatty foods, smoking and other "scientific" top causes of death.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Once they figure out that the leading cause of death is living, we're all screwed.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Does this mean that, say, internet sales would not deliver to SF? While I hate dumb-ass regulations in the first place if I lived there and the ban was set down in stone I would probably jump in the car, drive to somewhere outside the ban and buy twice as much. I foresee a gray/black market growth, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.