PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Exotique has to be one of the best Oriental blends ever, well, blended. I tried to use the air pocket method as Kevin used in his review of Exotique from many moons ago and just could not get it right/tight, whatever. But a medium pack and tamp resulted in a great smoke nonetheless.
This stuff is smooth and tasty.

Mar 1, 2014
I've nicknamed my method the "Messy Frank Method".
A.K.A. "Pinch A Bundle And Stick It In The Pipe", while keeping in mind to compress the bundle horizontally rather than vertically, so you're basically packing width-wise rather than shoving tobacco to the bottom of the bowl.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Doc, I've tried the air pocket method from time to time. I think the secret is getting enough in the bowl initially to get a tight pack. If the initial amount is lacking it's hard to put any more in to make it tighter. I make an oversized ball, or just a big grab, really, that I know is too big for the bowl and then force it down in the bowl while twisting a bit. Or, just grab a bunch and kind of compress it on your tray, pick it up with thumb and first and second digits, place over bowl and force down with both thumbs working around the bowl in a circular fashion. You have spillover, but that's the point. And,sometimes this tight ball is hard to get lit, but once it does it's usually off to the races. I only use it very occasionally as I am not sure it has a significant impact on the smoke quality. It's fun to mess with from time to time, though.
Is the lat in Exotique a major player? I just traded away all my major lat blends, but maybe I could enjoy a blend with it if it sits in the back seat and doesn't talk much.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
All of these "methods" for packing tobacco are just an over-complication IMO. Get the stuff in there, use common sense and light it. The only stuff I've found that needs a bit of a procedure are ropes and thick flake, and with the flake, you can always just rub that out too.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Cranse, the lat is definitely a condiment. Although you would not think so from the Tin note. But once it airs, the note changes from heavy smoke to a sweet-sour-musty-idunno aroma. Not in a bad way. The lat is in the background of this one. A really nice mix. PM me your address and I will put some in the mail for you to try. It does need a bit of drying but has no humectant that I can detect. A very cool smoke.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My experience suggests that if the tobacco is suitably dry, no "technique" is required at all. Some tamping along the way, but that's normal. And, it's hard to pack it too tight when it's not wet.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
To my mind, the key component is "the twist." Get the stuff in the bowl like you would load anything else up, but twist is so that you are forming layers. These then burn conveniently.
Also never buy Apple products.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Absolutely correct, John. I read the Fred Hanna book and he claims the air pocket method creates a calibash/aerobilliard effect. I can't tell a difference, but I probably don't have that accute sense of taste anyway.
Thanks, Doc! I'll PM. Ok, gotta chase termites-- over and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.