PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
We had our inaugural meeting this evening at Churchill's and I had a blast. It was a small crowd to be sure, but the membership fee is only thirty bucks and I'll make that up in tobacco tins within a few months alone. I made some new friends, got to know a few of the B&M staffers better and saw some beautiful smokers.
In a way, this first meeting was like a church potluck supper. Everybody brings their family favorite dish and the guys attending were smoking their Sunday best. Erik Nording shows up at Churchill's a couple of times a year and is universally revered by the patrons. I saw some great looking and well loved pieces of briar with his mark on them. Also, the owner of Churchill's used to be close friends with Preben Holms, before he shot himself to death with a bottle, and one of the attendees had a minty, fresh enough to slap PH pickaxe grained to true North. Jeez, what a beautiful piece of wood! (He wants to move it but my budget is more PH Ben Wade wood.)
All attendees were comp'ed a a tin of Sutliff's Country Estate. When I peeled off the top there was a piquant bouquet of Fruit Loops that assaulted my nostrils. Once past that, it really did taste pretty good and wasn't too terribly aromatic. I love Latakia and Perique is the stuff erotic dreams are made of but I'm doing my best to be more open minded as I approach my mid 50's and not be another axxhole stick in the mud.
A community is a group of individuals banding together for a common good. This evening a bunch of guys got togeher in Topeka, smoked some okay - or maybe mediocre tobacco, got to know each other a little better and shared some pipe smoking stories and experiences. I've got to report that it was pretty swell and I can't wait for our next get together.
Fnord

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Great report. Hope the club thrives and grows as time goes on. Boy, I'd like to see pics, especially of that PH pickaxe.

docgarr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2010
Congratulations on starting a pipe club in Topeka. At some point down the road, please consider joining United Pipe Clubs of America (UPCA). We are an umbrella group for American pipe clubs that attempt to (1) facilitate communication between pipe clubs, (2) promote smoking contests and other club activities, and (3) sponsor American teams in international pipe smoking competitions, such as the one in Seville, Spain, next month. See our web page at http://www.unitedpipeclubs.org.
If nothing else, please consider having one or more of your members join our Facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/unitedpipeclubs/
Good luck with your club!

Status
Not open for further replies.